Fc6 Broadcom BCM4401 problem
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    urosm Guest

Fc6 Broadcom BCM4401 problem

Hy!

I have truble getting my ethernet card to work... I have Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX and FC6 doesn't recognize it.

When I try to enable it (ifup eth0) I get error msg: No such device

I searched Google, found one solution -> downloading drivers from Broadcom... but when I want to install them... I got error about eno directory missing (but it exist... actualy it's a link... bot no mather ).

Can someone please tell me how can I solve this problem. PLEASE!

p.s.: I gave up on getting ipw2200 to work (with WPA and WEP) in FC5... but ethernet worked there with no problem... so... any help around BCM4401 (and ipw2200) will be very appreciated
    and sorry for my bad english writting

have a nice day,
    Uros from Slovenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

probably you are using XEN?
    If yes, this bug report may help you: bug 208242 (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzill...g.cgi?id=208242). The Redhat fix works fine here.

I linked some explanations on my page: http://www.felix-schwarz.name/Linux_on_Dell_E521_(en).

fs

goliathvt Guest
    Using Fedora Core 6, I had to recompile the kernel and insert the tg3 driver instead of having it run as a module. I know you have a different version of Broadcom NIC and would likely use a different driver, but I have a feeling the suggestion will help you out, as I've read a number of Broadcom users with Fedora 6 reporting that adding their card's driver into the kernel fixes their networking woes. For whatever reason, loadable modules, Broadcom and Fedora 6 aren't playing nice.

- GoliathVT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These Broadcom chips seem to be quite crappy. See the explanations on the XEN mailing list (linked on my page) regarding DMA limitations of the B44. I think, one problem showing up means that there are most likely even more - especially with these kind of low cost consumer hardware.

fs

urosm Guest
    Hi!

Thanks for all replays. I made it work. I just had to install new drivers and make an upgrade.

p.s.: I suceeded in connecting wireless with wep... but still no luck with wpa.

cheers,
    Uros