speakers work, but earphones dont
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speakers work, but earphones dont

On a laptop I'm setting up, the speakers work, but when we plug in the earphones, the sound still comes from the speakers. upon looking at the System>Administration>Soundcard Detection we saw the model to be an nvidia MCP51 using snd-hda-intel. so we went to nvidia to search for drivers, and found an rpm. upon installing the rpm, the config still shows it's using the snd-hda-intel module, but according to the nvidia website it needs to use the hda_intel.c ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.11.html ). so how do we get this to use the right driver (it'd be nice if the earphones could work.)

sciguy125 Guest
    Are you using FC6? If so, thanks. (and sorry, I guess...) I've been waiting for someone to confirm that they don't work.

I highly suspect that the problem is in ALSA, as it was before. The 2.6.15 kernel was using a version with broken headphone support. The latest kernel version for FC5 (2.6.18) has the same problem. I found the problem and was able to go back to 2.6.17. I know that FC6 uses 2.6.18, so I didn't want to install it on my laptop until I knew headphones were working.

Anyway, the last time this happened, there was a patch floating around, but I was never able to get it to work. (More likely due to my own error than a problem with the patch) I had to wait for the next kernel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you guys have me curious, I have a Sager laptop and just checked by plugging in the headphones while xmms was playing and it played through the headphones only and not the laptop speakers. Now granted one size does not file so If there is a issue file a bug report please.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/index.cgi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using fc5, and I just tried fc6, same result. Although, in fc6, I didn't need to install the nvidia drivers to get the ethernet port working. in fc5 volume prefrences, I only get two options, main volume and mic capture. in fc6, I get main volume+pcm and mic capture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the nvida drivers for the nforce chipset is for fc5, will they work in fc6? and if so, will the earphones then work too?

sciguy125 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiles
    the nvida drivers for the nforce chipset is for fc5, will they work in fc6? and if so, will the earphones then work too?
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, but the problem that came up with the 2.6.15 kernel was a problem with alsa. More reading indicates that a previous version of alsa (which happens to be in the 2.6.18 kernel right now) has broken headphone support for hda-intel again. The way to fix it would be to patch the kernel to use the latest version of alsa which has the problem fixed. Or, of course, use an older version that doesn't have the problem. Regardless, alsa needs to be patched somehow. I don't have much experience with it, but I guess we'd either have to patch the kernel then recompile the whole thing, or somehow just recompile the module(s).

I also don't know exactly what chip my laptop has, but it uses hda-intel. You've been bringing up nvidia, but I don't know if that uses the same kernel module.

I'd be helpful if someone with more experience would jump in.

magiclaptop Guest
    I'd also had the same problem with a Toshiba A105...

Exclamation Guest
    Same problem. Here is the alsa bug report with the patch.
    https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/al...ew.php?id=2412
    I think some should file a fedora bug with an lspci output and alsa patch.

sciguy125 Guest
    It seems that ATrpms has up to date alsa modules. I would think that installing them would fix the problem until the fix gets into the kernel.

I haven't been brave enough to install FC6 on my laptop yet, so I can't test it.

sciguy125 Guest
    I went ahead and installed FC6. Installing the ATrpm alsa modules allows headphones to work properly.

Exclamation Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sciguy125
    I went ahead and installed FC6. Installing the ATrpm alsa modules allows headphones to work properly.
    Can you post instructions for which packages you installed?

sciguy125 Guest
    ATrpms has a package called alsa-kmdl*, where * is your kernel version. I just grabbed it from yum. If you don't have ther repo set up, you can grab the packages here:

http://atrpms.net/dist/fc6/alsa-driver/

coec Guest
    I've recently put FC6 on my work PC, a HP DC7600. This has an Intel 82801G (ICH7) audio controller. Like the original poster, when headphones are plugged in sound still comes out of the speakers not the headphones.

I've tried the alsa-driver from ATrpms with no improvement. Has anyone submitted a bug to bugzilla regarding this that I can append to?

CC

Exclamation Guest
    Its not working for me either, a bug needs to be filed. Coec, go ahead and file a new bug.

sciguy125 Guest
    Did you guys reboot after installing the modules? Or I guess you could also just reload the appropriate modules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast