FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Power outage grief

Installed fedora 5 yesterday on a legacy machine hard wired to an actiontec dsl modem for internet service. Internet access was working flawlessly. Today a neighborhood power outage occured which shut down everything. I rebooted everything and now, I can't access the net via the linux machine. Firefox browser times out. Presently using MS machine via wireless connection to same modem.

FireFox suggests checking internet connection or network is protected by a firewall / proxy and permissions may need to be set.
    I have powered down the modem for a reset.
    Checked cable.
    Network config tool says eth0 = active
    Pinged primary dns 192.168.0.1 with positive results
    Being a Linux Newbie and worse yet, a Networking newbie, I'm at a total loss how to fix the problem. Any ideas?
    I should mention Qwest ISP provides no support for Linux.
    Happy to provide any additional information to render a solution.
    Thanks in advance.

if etho is a different nic, the mac address will need to be updated with the isp.
    Yes, they know who you are.

Maybe the old mac was still in use until you messed with the system after pwr out and rebooting.

try the windows machine's nic. (and update the mac addr to be it's mac addr before connecting to the net.)

SJ
    Do the Math

Thought I would look around for a few moments, learn somthing from the pains of others.
    A reply in this post:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=125379
    suggested checking the ipv6 filter in firefox using about:config in address bar of firefox.
    If false, set to true.
    Was set to false, changed it, and for now, everything appears to be fine.
    Curious tho, how would a power outage change a software setting?

"they say you can tell your gonna be struck my lightening by the hair on your head sticking out."
    By then, isnt it to late?

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure how to do that:
    where do I find windows MAC address?
    How do I set MAC address in linux.?
    Thanks

network configuration
    d-clk on etho
    hardware tab
    probe button

do that on the windows nic after installing it in Linux.

SJ
    Do the Math

Hi Blu_flame, (Work in propane?)

Something similar happened to me several months ago. The power died suddenly, and when it came back up, I rebooted, but Firefox and Sunbird tried to start a new user profile, and wouldn't let me back into the old ones. Turned out to be a left-over lock file in the .mozilla directory. After I deleted that file, everything went back to working as it should have.

I'm certainly no expert, but I would think it is entirely possible that one or more files were corrupted in the sudden "unclean" power down. I think the system might try to re-established some configuration files, if it could, and therefore would set some parameters back to a default condition?

Of course, as a newbie myself, I could be completely full of beans on this one too!

Dan

Hello TW
    Propane, and propane accessories...

OK, so lets assume some files are corrupted in an "unclean" power down, how would you find them?
    Seems to me, or I should say, speaking for myself, as a newbie, I can always revert to a clean install after such an occurance. With the advent of the Colorado winter coming on, "howdy neighbor btw, Denver here", based on experience, there are going to be many such power outages over the next few months.
    I want to know how to fix it.

You mentioned a "left over lock file" what was it exactly?

Hi neighbor!

Short answer? I'll bet the system got most of them, (bum files) a UPS would seem to be the best solution to the power problem, and if it needs it, on startup, I think you should get the option to automatically run a file system check. Or, I believe you can run fsck from the command line. Not entirely sure on that. Haven't had to do this on FC5. But it worked on RH9.

BTW, I may have to PM you for some low down info on some Impco parts for a dual fuel system.

Dan

EDIT: Sorry, I've got brain lock on the name of the .lock file. I've slept since then. However, it had a distinctive suffix on the file name that made it obvious!

D
    Last edited by TangledWeb; 5th October 2006 at 06:42 AM.