FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

WARNING: if you have problem with nvidia or ati binary drivers

if you have problem with your graphic card
    please refer to this page
    https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg01565.html

Permanent Fedora Project page (copy of original mailing-list post above): https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Xorg/..._Video_Drivers

SUMMARY: 3rd-party video driver binary installer "blobs" over-write critical system graphics library(ies), and may, in some cases (depending on your usage, software selection, and/or any subsequent hardware changes) result in failure of X11 (the GUI). It is strongly recommended that you use the equivalent video driver RPMs (which are based on, and include the exact same video drivers, but are custom-built to integrate with maximum compatibility with your Fedora OS) provided by known and competent Repos (e.g.: RPMFusion). Please refer to the above link(s) for details. Please refer to one of the Guides and Solutions tutorials to install 3rd-party video driver RPMs.
    Last edited by Hlingler; 19th February 2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added permanent link to Fedora Project page and Summary.

bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Moved to Hardware and made 'sticky'. Thank you for finding and posting this important explanation. Hopefully members will discover it before they have problems.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Knome freezing on bootup but server still running?!?!

When I boot my FC5 server, most times out of 10 the server dosnt load into KNOME but the server is still running because I can ssh into it, does anyone know what the issue might be

Cheers

steve941 Guest
    thanks btw, i upgraded to kernel.org 2.6.18 today, i got rid fglrx from ati, i successfully configured my kernel so drm[i] loads and i noticed that 3d support is lacking .. like slow FPS on 3D game and unresponsiveness but i ill give a try to reinstalling libgl / Xorg. or most likely ill be lazy and wait till FC6. with less than a month, i can wait. plus 3d support wouldnt help now as i have sound issue .. well nice for posting that

thanks for this posting! Next week fedora 6 comes out, I will download and install it with the knowledge of your posting => no drivers from www.ati.com, thanks, I hope this works.

greetings, Pietri85
    MSI K9N Neo-F Sockel AM2, 2GB DDR2 667 RAM CL5, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ AM2 @ 3800+ (2400 MHz), Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800XT 256MB, 200GB Seagate Barracuda HDD (IDE), Fedora 7 OS

One thing I'm unclear about

Gents (and Ladies!),

I am reviewing Cedega for an article, and I ran into this issue when I tried to Update ATi's drivers in preparation for installing Cedega. Now, FC6 sees my Video Hardware as a Mesa... instead of an ATI Radeon X850XT. My question is, how do I get from where I'm at now to it actually seeing the Ati for what it is? I didn't see those steps in the post, and am wondering if they are the same as the steps for updating the 3rd party driver?

Hi Gortok

Please read this thread.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=127305

Yup, I found that soon after I made my post. It worked. :-)

Thanks again.

......Anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by steve941
    thanks btw, i upgraded to kernel.org 2.6.18 today, i got rid fglrx from ati, i successfully configured my kernel so drm[i] loads and i noticed that 3d support is lacking .. like slow FPS on 3D game and unresponsiveness but i ill give a try to reinstalling libgl / Xorg. or most likely ill be lazy and wait till FC6. with less than a month, i can wait. plus 3d support wouldnt help now as i have sound issue .. well nice for posting that
    I have same issue. I read the article. I found that I needed to do a lot from the
    list of "rpm -qa", "rpm -e", "rpm -Va", "rpm -e", "yum install". The xorg.conf file
    got hosed but I got it fixed (aticonfig generated some duplicate entries). I find
    now that fglrxinfo returns "Mesa" as the OpenGL implementation. "ldd" shows that
    /usr/lib/ati-fglrx/libOpenGL is being used.

Attached is Xorg.0.log. I don't see anything problematic there...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Also, please note that the nVidia Geforce 440MX is currently not supported on Fedora Core 6. nVidia has no stable driver for it. Although the current kmod-nvidia rpm does "work" (even compiz!) it is not supported on this card, and it doesn't work with wine games; there is/are the problem/problems of thread locking, missing textures and critical section timeouts... The kmod-nvidia-legacy won't even load GLX! Please don't report bugs with this card-driver-kernel combo until they come out with a "supported" driver.

Edit: Legacy driver needs Option Composite "Disable" in xorg.conf which Fedora enables by default. That's why it wouldn't load GLX. The card still generates errors on the latest games due to being an old card running with old driver.
    Last edited by fozner; 11th January 2007 at 07:13 PM.

I switched from Nvidia card to a Radeon card. Since I am somewhat a n00b and i can't seem to google the info. Can anyone give me somewhat exact intructions on removing the nvidia drivers. Thanks

Assuming you use Fedora and you installed the driver through rpm or yum, rpm will remove the driver. If you used the NVIDIA installer, run that with --remove option.

Failing that, I'm told you can always remove the OpenGL files manually and install mesa. Refer to http://fedorasolved.org/

Thanks, I actually eventually figured it out. did the -remove kmod-nvidia or whatever it was now. Got the ATI installed. Thank you for your help!

i have a nividia 7600 geforce go.. and my desktop effects wont run, nor will beryl manger open..? i didnt install any gpu drivers...???but fedora see its a 7600 go? might my video card be related to desktop themes (effects,tranparncies,cubeetc) be to balme??

FOUND THIS
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-8756.html
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490-
    ---=--=---=--Fedora Core 5/6 & RHEL5

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Fedora Core 5/6 or RHEL5 system, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* the latest update kernel is installed and in use
    * a kernel-devel RPM is installed that corresponds to the kernel that is in use. Note, FC6 has a known bug which occasionally installs a kernel-devel RPM that is a different arch than the kernel (i586 & i686 mixed). See: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=211941
    * the pkgconfig and xorg-x11-server-sdk RPMs are installed (only applies to FC)
    * Xen kernels are not currently supported
    * the SELinux environment allows the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver to work (only for drivers older than 1.0-9631 and 1.0-7184 (legacy), respectively)

The first three items above can be addressed with the following commands (they need to be run as root):
    # yum install kernel-devel xorg-x11-server-sdk pkgconfig
    # yum update
    # reboot

If you are using an SMP (multi-CPU and/or multi-core) enabled system in FC5(only), please replace kernel-devel with kernel-smp-devel in the command above.

The SELinux requirement can be addressed via two mechanisms after the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver has been installed:

1) If you do not wish to use SELinux enforcement, you can disable it by running the `setenforce 0` command before starting X, or by adding selinux=0 to the end of the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf and rebooting.

2) If you wish to use SELinux enforcement, you will need to change the security context of the NVIDIA X driver module and of the server-side NVIDIA GLX extension module. To achieve this, please run the commands listed for your platform below:

Linux/x86 (32-bit):
    # chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
    # chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1.0.9631
    # chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1
    # chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.9631
    Last edited by h*klown; 29th March 2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Dont hate the noobs.... hate microsoft, for there expensive,buggy, wannabe unix cack mongers :cool:

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast