fc5 to fc6
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    a550ee Guest

fc5 to fc6

Hello!
    Can anyone move to FC6 with "yum -y upgrade" without downloading a lots of cd-images?

homey Guest
    Yes, I did it on this box the other day. Always good to have a backup first in case things go wrong.

I downloaded and installed these packages ....
    fedora-release-5.92-1.noarch.rpm
    fedora-release-notes-5.92-4.noarch.rpm

Then, I went into /etc/yum.repos.d and renamed the .rpmnew lists to remove that extension.

Yum upgrade from there. ( takes awhile )

To restore the nvidia settings using the new kernel, I booted into runlevel three and cd into the directory where I have the nvidia script and ran the command:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run -K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible, but not usually recommended. I moved from FC2->FC3->FC4 using
    yum. However, it breaks some things. Drivers, for example. Also, it messed up
    my desktop and Application Menus.

The process is basically to download the newer version of yum and
    the fedora-release rpm package for the new version of Fedora. Then run
    yum -y update

It'll take a while (about as long as downloading the iso files) but it should
    upgrade all of your packages.
    Registered Linux User # 373325

a550ee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFedora
    It is possible, but not usually recommended. I moved from FC2->FC3->FC4 using
    yum. However, it breaks some things. Drivers, for example. Also, it messed up
    my desktop and Application Menus.

The process is basically to download the newer version of yum and
    the fedora-release rpm package for the new version of Fedora. Then run
    yum -y update
    To move to another distro version yum man advises to use --upgrade key instead of --update ( upgrades is the same update + --obsoletes flag).
    Maybe it's the cause of "some things breakin'"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homey
    Yes, I did it on this box the other day. Always good to have a backup first in case things go wrong.

I downloaded and installed these packages ....
    fedora-release-5.92-1.noarch.rpm
    fedora-release-notes-5.92-4.noarch.rpm

Then, I went into /etc/yum.repos.d and renamed the .rpmnew lists to remove that extension.

Yum upgrade from there. ( takes awhile )

To restore the nvidia settings using the new kernel, I booted into runlevel three and cd into the directory where I have the nvidia script and ran the command:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run -K

its not working here shrug and please see below my results ( am I lacking some repo ?)\

--> Running transaction check
    Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
    Error: Package elfutils-libs conflicts with elfutils < 0.123-1.fc6.
    Error: Package elfutils needs elfutils-libelf = 0.119-1.2.1, this is not available.
    Error: Package elfutils-libelf conflicts with elfutils < 0.123-1.fc6.
    Error: Package cyrus-sasl-plain needs cyrus-sasl-lib = 2.1.21-10, this is not available.
    Error: Package openoffice.org-core needs libgcjawt.so.7, this is not available.
    Error: Package openoffice.org-core needs libicule.so.34, this is not available.
    Error: Package openoffice.org-core needs libicuuc.so.34, this is not available.
    Error: Package openoffice.org-core needs libgcj.so.7, this is not available.
    Error: Package elfutils needs libdw.so.1(ELFUTILS_0.119), this is not available.
    Error: Package openoffice.org-core needs libicui18n.so.34, this is not available.
    Error: Package elfutils needs elfutils-libs = 0.119-1.2.1, this is not available.

thx anyone
    neighborlee()
    One Heart at a time-

http://heartseed.sf.net

homey Guest
    Package elfutils needs elfutils-libelf = 0.119-1.2.1, this is not available.
    You could try to remove the offending package ....
    Code:
    yum remove elfutils-*
    then, try again with yum upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homey
    You could try to remove the offending package ....
    Code:
    yum remove elfutils-*
    then, try again with yum upgrade
    well is t here a way to do that and makesure it does not remove a given package along with it..ie:
    Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
    Package Arch Version Repository Size
    Removing:
    elfutils x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 337 k
    elfutils i386 0.119-1.2.1 installed 337 k
    elfutils-libelf x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 69 k
    elfutils-libelf i386 0.119-1.2.1 installed 78 k
    elfutils-libelf-devel x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 257 k
    elfutils-libs i386 0.119-1.2.1 installed 199 k
    elfutils-libs x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 219 k
    Removing for dependencies:
    firstboot noarch 1.4.6-1 installed 821 k
    ltrace i386 0.3.36-4.2 installed 155 k
    ltrace x86_64 0.3.36-4.2 installed 163 k
    man x86_64 1.6c-2.fc5 installed 352 k
    pirut noarch 1.0.3-0.fc5 installed 624 k
    prelink x86_64 0.3.6-3 installed 1.6 M
    redhat-lsb x86_64 3.0-9.2 installed 21 k
    redhat-lsb i386 3.0-9.2 installed 21 k
    rpm x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 1.6 M
    rpm-build x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 2.0 M
    rpm-devel x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 4.2 M
    rpm-libs x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 2.1 M
    rpm-python x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 129 k
    system-config-network noarch 1.3.30-2.1 installed 2.1 M
    system-config-network-tui noarch 1.3.30-2.1 installed 3.8 M
    system-config-users noarch 1.2.42-1 installed 1.1 M
    systemtap x86_64 0.5.4-2.2 installed 1.1 M
    yum noarch 2.6.1-0.fc5 installed 1.8 M <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< that one ;-)

Transaction Summary
    Install 0 Package(s)
    Update 0 Package(s)
    Remove 25 Package(s)
    Is this ok [y/N]:

cheers
    neighborlee()
    Last edited by neighborlee; 17th September 2006 at 09:49 PM.
    One Heart at a time-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a550ee
    Hello!
    Can anyone move to FC6 with "yum -y upgrade" without downloading a lots of cd-images?

No, you would be attemping to upgrade you running system by a total replacement.
    Upgrading from the FC6 cd / dvd is a seperate system running in memory and using the disk and cd/dvd as data to replace the old with the new.

There is no t1 to t2 to t3 to FC final supported upgrade. They are in pakage mixes and broken deps, bad scripts, conf file hell at times. No way to measure what happens between them.

Yum update for FCn to FCntestn is only 1 test for the update. After that FCn would need to be re-installed and then a test for update from FCn to FCntestn+1) would be a new testing benchmark.

Once a FCn is updated to up graded to test, the only thing that can be done is a daily yum update for testing. It can not be upgraded form a previous testn or upgraded to the final FCN+1 (the parrots will squalk but the facts are that the integrity of the system can not be varified.)

Yum --upgrade (samae as --deps, same as ...) these are out dated man pages.
    yum always turns on dep checking as of FC 4 or 5.

Test any way you like but the final relse must be installed from cd/dvd or the previous release must be upgraded. (and then yum updated after wards to get foreign or extra pacakes updated.)

SJ
    Do the Math

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neighborlee
    well is t here a way to do that and makesure it does not remove a given package along with it..ie:
    Dependencies Resolved

Package Arch Version Repository Size
    Removing:
    elfutils x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 337 k
    elfutils i386 0.119-1.2.1 installed 337 k
    elfutils-libelf x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 69 k
    elfutils-libelf i386 0.119-1.2.1 installed 78 k
    elfutils-libelf-devel x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 257 k
    elfutils-libs i386 0.119-1.2.1 installed 199 k
    elfutils-libs x86_64 0.119-1.2.1 installed 219 k
    Removing for dependencies:
    firstboot noarch 1.4.6-1 installed 821 k
    ltrace i386 0.3.36-4.2 installed 155 k
    ltrace x86_64 0.3.36-4.2 installed 163 k
    man x86_64 1.6c-2.fc5 installed 352 k
    pirut noarch 1.0.3-0.fc5 installed 624 k
    prelink x86_64 0.3.6-3 installed 1.6 M
    redhat-lsb x86_64 3.0-9.2 installed 21 k
    redhat-lsb i386 3.0-9.2 installed 21 k
    rpm x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 1.6 M
    rpm-build x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 2.0 M
    rpm-devel x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 4.2 M
    rpm-libs x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 2.1 M
    rpm-python x86_64 4.4.2-15.2 installed 129 k
    system-config-network noarch 1.3.30-2.1 installed 2.1 M
    system-config-network-tui noarch 1.3.30-2.1 installed 3.8 M
    system-config-users noarch 1.2.42-1 installed 1.1 M
    systemtap x86_64 0.5.4-2.2 installed 1.1 M
    yum noarch 2.6.1-0.fc5 installed 1.8 M <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< that one ;-)

Transaction Summary
    Install 0 Package(s)
    Update 0 Package(s)
    Remove 25 Package(s)
    Is this ok [y/N]:

cheers
    neighborlee()

hi sorry to bump, but this would be alot easier if I could yum upgrade ;0))

cheers
    neighborlee()
    One Heart at a time-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

could I just ask for clarification on something, when FC6 final comes out (oct 11th (?)) will I be able to upgrade just using yum upgrade and then re-start and yum update? will this preserve all my data on my hard drive?
    it'll be the first time I've ever done it....

As to your problem neighborlee, can you not use yum upgrade --exclude="<package name>" - although as I say I'm a n00b to this upgrading stuff so you should see if anyone else thinks that might work
    Registered Linux User #416286

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoJoe
    hi,

could I just ask for clarification on something, when FC6 final comes out (oct 11th (?)) will I be able to upgrade just using yum upgrade and then re-start and yum update? will this preserve all my data on my hard drive?
    it'll be the first time I've ever done it....

As to your problem neighborlee, can you not use yum upgrade --exclude="<package name>" - although as I say I'm a n00b to this upgrading stuff so you should see if anyone else thinks that might work
    There are several important reasons for NOT using yum to upgrade from FCn tp FCn+1.

However it seems that some folks have confused the desire to make things easy, in their exsuberance to paint their wish list as if it were reality, have totally confused the landscape.

To do an upgrade from FC5 to FC6 use the burned iso's.
    It is the best chance of upgrading.
    If it fails for some reson like power, bad disk write, a confused package, a bad cd or dvd spot, what ever it may be, then you can start over again with a clean burned iso boot, or after fixing any hardware, etc,
    and you can continue the process.

To risk of successfully upgrading with yum to a new release is not that high and there is no fall back.

I would never attemp to upgrade my complete OS out from under itself. It doesn't even make logal sence and would take hours vs. 39 minutes. The risk completely out weights the notion.

I am very disappointed that some of the key people around here don't understand this and keep trouting the yum upgrade.
    But I have seen a few people that I know have experice that are holding to the iso upgrade (BECAUSE THEY KNOW).

SJ
    Do the Math

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowJet
    There are several important reasons for NOT using yum to upgrade from FCn tp FCn+1.

However it seems that some folks have confused the desire to make things easy, in their exsuberance to paint their wish list as if it were reality, have totally confused the landscape.

If it fails for some reson like power, bad disk write, a confused package, a bad cd or dvd spot, what ever it may be, then you can start over again with a clean burned iso boot, or after fixing any hardware, etc,

To risk of successfully upgrading with yum to a new release is not that high and there is no fall back.

I would never attemp to upgrade my complete OS out from under itself. It doesn't even make logal sence and would take hours vs. 39 minutes. The risk completely out weights the notion.

I am very disappointed that some of the key people around here don't understand this and keep trouting the yum upgrade.
    But I have seen a few people that I know have experice that are holding to the iso upgrade (BECAUSE THEY KNOW).

SJ

well my first choice 'was' upgrading yes indeed, but I got some segfault while trying to do so..I'm positive I got a good dvd burn plus I md5sum'd it, so I dont know...maybe problem is im upgrading with a test release dvd ?

cheers
    neighborlee()
    One Heart at a time-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, no garentee with test versions.

I was mainly speaking about the current release to the next release.

But the reality is, even that is questionable.

SJ
    Do the Math

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a burned DVD ISO to upgrade from FC4 to FC5. That worked fine, and will be the way I'll upgrade to FC6 when the final release hits...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowJet

SJ

Very good explination. I started using linux w/ redhat 5.1 and have caught myself wanting to upgrade via yum. It was quite difficult to get good reasons why this shouldn't be done. This should be stickied for all to see and decide for themselves.

-scoon