gdesklets problem
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ToolNIN420 Guest

gdesklets problem

I know there are a couple of threads out there asking about gdesklets and I've searched through them to see if my problem is addressed and it seems to be to no avail. I don't know if my problem is unique or not but here it goes:

I first downloaded gdesklets from their .org site and I extracted them and did the './configure' and it starts to configure but then says I need gnome-python-2.0, pyorbit-2.0.4 and pygtk-(something) and so it never made a makefile for me to continue the process and I went and downloaded each one of those just to be safe and still the same problem. So after some searching I found that the extras repitory had an RPM up. Well I downloaded both of them and tried them both (after removing the old directories of the source files I had previously attempted). Well everything seems to go fine, installation seems to go fine. Then I click on the GUI icon and nothing comes up but I expected that since the other threads stated that they had to open it within the terminal first. So I go to my terminal and type 'gdesklets" and this is what shows up:
    [Roy@localhost etc]$ gdesklets
    gDesklets 0.21
    Copyright � 2003 Martin Grimme, Christian Meyer, Jesse Andrews

This software is licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL.

/usr/local/share/gdesklets/desktop/BGWatcher.py:23: GtkDeprecationWarning: gtk.timeout_add is deprecated, use gobject.timeout_add instead
    gtk.timeout_add(50, self.__check_bg)
    init class factory.DisplayFactory.DisplayFactory
    init class factory.SensorFactory.SensorFactory
    init class config.ConfigManager.ConfigManager
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/gdesklets", line 24, in ?
    starter = Starter()
    File "/usr/local/share/gdesklets/main/Starter.py", line 30, in __init__
    if (not displays): self.__first_run()
    File "/usr/local/share/gdesklets/main/Starter.py", line 41, in __first_run
    _("It looks like you are running %(name)s for the first "
    File "/usr/local/share/gdesklets/utils/dialog.py", line 44, in info
    _set_message(dialog, primary, secondary)
    File "/usr/local/share/gdesklets/utils/dialog.py", line 16, in _set_message
    lbl.set_markup(message)
    AttributeError: 'gtk.VBox' object has no attribute 'set_markup'

and it doesn't open so I know not what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks for any and all help and time given to my problem.

Install it with yum and it should resolve the dependencies for you.
    Code:
    yum install gdesklets
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --
    I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

ToolNIN420 Guest
    I tried that except this is what I get:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# yum install gdesklets
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    flash                                                                [1/6]
    jpackage-fedora                                                      [2/6]
    jpackage-generic                                                     [3/6]
    core                                                                 [4/6]
    extras                                                               [5/6]
    updates                                                              [6/6]
    Reading repository metadata in from local files
    Parsing package install arguments
    Nothing to do
    and this is the contents of my /etc/yum.repos.d/
    Code:
    [root@localhost yum.repos.d]# ls
    atrpms.repo                     fedora-extras.repo           jpackage.repo
    dag.repo                        fedora-legacy.repo           kde-redhat.repo
    dries.repo                      fedora-updates.repo          livna-devel.repo
    fedora-core.repo                fedora-updates-testing.repo  livna.repo
    fedora-development.repo         flash.repo                   livna.repo~
    fedora-extras-development.repo  freshrpms.repo               livna-testing.repo
    [root@localhost yum.repos.d]#
    so where do I go from here?

Nothing to do usually indicates that it's already installed. Gdesklets is in extras (I believe) so your repos is fine Look in your menus. I don't know where it is in Gnome, but in my KDE menu it's in kmenu->utilities->desktop. Or just press alt+F2 keys and type gdesklets.
    If you want the desklets them selves (weather, system monitors, clocks etc) just drag the files to the gdesklets application window and they should install automatically. Then you have to double click on the desklet in the gdesklets window to start it.
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --
    I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

ToolNIN420 Guest
    Well, I do believe that it is installed. The problem though, is that it wont start. From command prompt, GUI, or even your suggested Alt F2. The only thing that happens is when I click on it through the GUI, a box on my task bar appears but nothing ever runs, and then quits. I know some people said they had this problem too and I should start it in terminal, so this is what I get when I do it in the terminal:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# gdesklets
    gDesklets 0.21

/usr/local/share/gdesklets/desktop/BGWatcher.py:23: GtkDeprecationWarning: gtk.timeout_add is deprecated, use gobject.timeout_add instead
        starter = Starter()
        lbl.set_markup(message)
    [root@localhost ~]#
    So I don't know... I guess I can try to install some actual desklets to see if I can get it running. But if anyone has any insight on this message let me know, thank you.

Right click on the box in the task bar and click manage desklets. click on this desklets link find the desklet you want and click on it. then drag the desklet.tar.gz (or whatever format it's in) to the manage desklets window.

EDIT: (Sorry, maybe I confused the taskbar with the system tray, but I'm using KDE and not familiar with Gnome)
    Last edited by u-noneinc-s; 15th September 2006 at 09:05 PM.
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --

411874 Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by ToolNIN420
    Well, I do believe that it is installed. The problem though, is that it wont start. From command prompt, GUI, or even your suggested Alt F2. The only thing that happens is when I click on it through the GUI, a box on my task bar appears but nothing ever runs, and then quits. I know some people said they had this problem too and I should start it in terminal, so this is what I get when I do it in the terminal:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# gdesklets
    gDesklets 0.21

root@localhost ~]#
    So I don't know... I guess I can try to install some actual desklets to see if I can get it running. But if anyone has any insight on this message let me know, thank you.
    Remove the old version of gdesklets first before installing through yum.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Phenom II(tm) X4 Processor 940 AM2+ - Memory: 8GB DDR2-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB OC - OS: Fedora 29 Workstation x86-64 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Laptop HP ENVY x360 15- APU: AMD Ryzen 2500U - Memory: 8GB DDR4-RAM - OS: Fedora 29 Design Suite x86-64

ToolNIN420 Guest
    Ok, I uninstalled gdesklets and reinstalled it using YUM. It says it successfully installed it and when I try to open it through the GUI, a box shows up in the task bar (not system tray) and then disappears with nothing happening. So I go to my terminal and this is the message that I receive:
    Code:
    [root@localhost Roy]# gdesklets
    gDesklets 0.21

starter = Starter()
        lbl.set_markup(message)
    [root@localhost Roy]#

Hopefully Finalzone can get you up and running. I just have an observation. This last install and attempt to run still shows the old version and about the same error as your configure attempt, so the old one is still hanging in theree somewhere. The new version is 0.35.x
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --

411874 Get Counted

Aha, take a look to the traceback.
    Code:
     File "/usr/local/share/gdesklets/main/Starter.py",
    Did you see the problem?
    You still have the old gdesklets installation residing inside /usr/local/. It is the remain of your old built-compile which means you didn't do "make uninstall" at all.
    Remove the old gdesklets folder inside /usr/local/share and /usr/local/bin and you should get the newest version instead.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Phenom II(tm) X4 Processor 940 AM2+ - Memory: 8GB DDR2-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB OC - OS: Fedora 29 Workstation x86-64 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Laptop HP ENVY x360 15- APU: AMD Ryzen 2500U - Memory: 8GB DDR4-RAM - OS: Fedora 29 Design Suite x86-64

Finalzone: I knew you'd find something
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --

411874 Get Counted

It is very important to remember where application are created using compile/make&&make install. As the result, it is very easy to forget. Just waiting for the original poster to report the status.

ToolNIN420 Guest
    Yup, that fixed everything. I appreciate the help. Now my next question would be: Is there any places besides gdesklets.org that has add-ons?

ToolNIN420 Guest
    Yeah I found that sight but alot of the desklets I want don't work with the new version of desklets. I would like to get one of the scrolling RSS feeder, a weather reader, and maybe even a traffic reader like they have there but like I said they don't work with the new version of gdesklets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast