Filesystem of USB Flash drives?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Filesystem of USB Flash drives?

Anyone know what filesystem these drives use? I was thinking about getting a 1-2GB one, and installing some linux apps that my school systems do not have, and trying to run them off there.. It would be really cool if they made usb sticks (not drives) that you could even partition- then i could have half ntfs, have fat32 or something

Keith

Well... I know that usually they're Fat32. This is probably what you want them to be anyways that way they're plug-n-play on any machine and OS, and also for read/write support. Not sure about getting apps to run off USB drives, but you could always carry a live-cd around with you if you wanted to use linux on whatever machine.

ccrvic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guizhou_donkey
    Anyone know what filesystem these drives use?
    Whatever you put on them. Most seem to come with an existing FAT32 filesystem, but there's nothing stopping you from changing that.

Quote Originally Posted by guizhou_donkey
    It would be really cool if they made usb sticks (not drives) that you could even partition
    They do.

A USB stick looks like a SCSI drive. You can do to it whatever you would do to a HDD.

Vic.

Sweet. thanks guys. Compusa has a 2GB flash stick for $45 now... i think i'm going to have to give it a shot..