Nvidia driver install in "X" wont work need a pure shell.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    cherrynutz Guest

Nvidia driver install in "X" wont work need a pure shell.

Im trying to install the latest nvidia drivers on my system and when I run it in the terminal it says I can not continue the installation in an X server, How do I get into the shell alone without the GUI running in the background or how do I envoke the shell before fedora boots into the gui.

Thanks,

ChErRy

Two options

#1) Open a terminal window and invoke......init 3

#2) Modify /etc/inittab. Look for id:5:initdefault:
    change to id:3:initdefault:
    reboot
    RHCE and MCSE systems administrator
    Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
    Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..

cherrynutz Guest
    I used the init 3 command in the terminal window and it went to a black screen and gets to setting up irq :OK: (or something like that) and I can't type anything.

cherrynutz Guest
    Ok i did the inittab (and made a backup of my old file just incase) and its telling me I have to install the development tools. And I am having a problem my Add/REmove not working as I stated in my other post (a different topic) so i'm hoping to get my add/remove prob fixed then install the dev tools.

heres the error I got after cancling an update of my dev tools after it installed it wanted to download an update that i cancled cause it wasn't downloading after 12% or so. And I suspect thats why I know get this error every time i try to load Add/Remove in the gui

!:Unable to retrieve software information:!
    Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available.

I think I ge golly darn curropted it by cancleing out. oops. Any fix ideas?

yum clean all

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

My Linux box is:
    Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..

cherrynutz Guest
    Thank you pparks1 my Add/Remove is now reinstalled and fixed!
    I just need to review the proper way to install nvdia's latest drivers because in shell mode it gets a little farther then says I need to compile it for my kernel or something and I installed the dev tools but maybe not the proper ones? I will do some forum searching on install instructions for nvidia.

Thanks again for fixing my add-remove,

ChErRy

you need to install the kernel-devel package in order to compile the driver for your kernel

yum -y install kernel-devel

My Linux box is: