How-to realocate space from empty hard drive space to Fedora Core 5 partiton
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How-to realocate space from empty hard drive space to Fedora Core 5 partiton

[(works for me in Fedora core 5, might work in others - but I have not tested it - use at your own risk, no guarantee, no warranty, what you get out of it may vary - you might want to look at other sources to ensure that this is right or help with any other problems you might have). Don't type the square brackets or what's in them. The situation here is based on when I needed more disk space... firstly I went into windows and then used partition magic to create some free space on my disk (10G), this tracks through what I did, some of the things here are based on advice I got from other, so thanks for the advice...If you disagre, reply and say]

[Log on as root in terminal]
    [type:] fdisk -l
    [then:] fdisk /dev/hda

[Now options will appear, you only need to enter in the letter and press enter]

n [this option means 'new']
    [Now select] p

[it may do the number automatically, if it hasn't select one which wasn't used when you typed 'fdisk -l']

[it should automatically do the start and end position - if it doesn't then you will need to look at the fdisk -l values and select the first cylinder as one after your last partition before the gap and the last one as one before the next partition after the gap]

t

83 [this is a linux partition; assuming you want an ext2/3]

w [this writes - so make sure you are happy]

[you might need to restart now...(I did)]

[now go back into terminal after restart, log on as root again...] mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda4

pvcreate /dev/hda4

vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/hda4

pvdisplay

[so now your new partition should be there and registering in the pvdisplay (physical volume display)]

[now type] lvm

[This is the logical volume manager]

[type:] vgs [this will show you the status of your logical volumes]

[this will show you the current volume groups. The default volume group is VolGroup00, this is what mine was set at, and probably yours too...]

[it may look like this]

VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
    VolGroup00 1 2 0 wz--n- 5G 32.00M

[OK, so when we used 'pvcreate /dev/hda4' above we created it as a physical volume, this now needs to be put in the volume group...type in]

vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/hda4

[to check back and make sure it's all cool type in:]

vgs

[Look at this against the first time you used vgs, it should now show another volume and the 'VFree' should have increased by the size of the new partition you put on earlier: /dev/hda4]

VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
    VolGroup00 1 2 0 wz--n- 5G 10.32G

[Now we resize the volume groups so that the free space can actually be used!... I added 10G in this example (and about that in real life) so now we need to get on it...]

[Type:]

lvextend -L +10G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /dev/hda4

[it'll now tell you that it's gone ok (I hope), if you type in:] vgs [then the free space amount should have been reduced, if it has, brill!]

[df results will be the same as before we started, so to get to the space so we can see it we need to go to the 'core'... get it?]

[Stick in the installation DVD, or if you used CDs I think you'll need the first one, boot with the cd/DVD... you might need to access your BIOS settings and make sure that the cd/dvd drive is what it boots to first - I don't know because thats the setting I have as a default anyway - if this is the case, and I think it might then you might be able to just press F12 and select it - although thats not supported on all systems I don't think]

[Press:] F5
    [Then type:] linux rescue

[Select your language, I'll assume English will work if your reading this, and the keyboard system you want to use]
    [you will now need to avoid mounting disks and systems so select "skip" because you want to avoid mounting or booting]

[a command line should now be in front of you]

[now type:]
    lvm vgchange -a y VolGroup00

[Then:]

lvm lvchange -a y /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

[Then check everything is cool by using the next command, this will take a little while, but let it run:]

e2fsck -f /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

[Then type:]

resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

[take out the cd and reboot. It should all be working now, free space should be viewable in your home folder and everything should be great, hope it helped]
    Last edited by JoeyJoJoe; 4th June 2006 at 11:42 PM.

works as well with Fedora 7

Good job, thanks Joey.

I accomplished the last few tasks booting from the Fedora 7 Rescue cd.

This post was particularly helpful in view of the fact I hadn't yet discovered

9.5. Using the LVM utility system-config-lvm
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...onfig-lvm.html

I wasn't aware of that tool either, it looks like it could be an easier way of doing things (although I've not looked into it properly).

I must admit though when I moved over to fedora 8 I actually set it up to use EXT3 which is loads easier to manage and to move stuff from, say, fedora to ubuntu. Maybe it's a matter of personal taste but me and a lot of other people on here are not keen at all on LVM...

anyway, I'm glad I was able to help in some way
    Registered Linux User #416286

An overwhelming majority it would seem are not keen for lvm.
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/poll.p...lts&pollid=338

I ran across this how to install the Logical Volume Management gui from Fedora Core 5 rpm on Ubuntu @
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=216117
    which might indicate it is gaining acceptance.

What I like about lvm is when I need more space, I get more space, voila.
    I think I understand the sentiment against it too:
    Why fix something that works (and I already know how to do?)

With the whole point of Fedora being development, I can understand when an install defaults one way or another, as with lvm, they ARE steering a bit. I think next install I'd choose it again.