cups-1.2.0-1.1 update problem
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cups-1.2.0-1.1 update problem

I have FC5 and my printer was working great. Just used it yesterday.

This morning, I yummed the new cups update and now nothing works anymore.

When I try to print a test page, absolutely nothing happens.

When I try to configure cups, I get an error message about not being able to contact the print server, check that server is correctly configured, and that it can't read the list of printers.

I tried changing the permissions of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and printers.conf from 600 to 640, but that didn't help. It just gets changed back by iteself after a while.

My suspicion is that this might have something to do with selinux, because I noticed that there were some policy rules in the new cupsd.conf file that the old file doesn't have, so I reverted to the old file, but nothing has helped.

Yet, when I open the services display, it says that cupsd and cups-config-daemon are running.

Any help on this?

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very strange. Yes, I'm having the same problems. Jobs sent to the printer report as 'processing' but although everything reports as running, the printer is dead as a brick. I've made no changes to my system other than updates either and can't find any record in dmesg or /var/log/messages that indicate a problem. Printer info is correct and any job including test page seems to be sent to the printer successfully. In short, this one has me scratching. It's BUGZILLA TIME! Edit: Bugzilla 192048 filed.
    Last edited by bob; 17th May 2006 at 02:19 AM.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

bert Guest
    I have the same problem. I cannot print from my laptop to my server connected to a lexmark printer since yesterday. I have downgraded cups & cups-libs to 1.1.23-30.2.i386.rpm but it made no difference. Yesterday I upgraded quite a few rpms. Could it be that there is another rpm that is responsable for the problem ?

bert Guest
    I have made it work by downgrading cups & cups-lib to version 1.1.23-30.2 AND hplip and hpijs to version 0.9.8-6.
    To do that you must "rpm -Uvh --oldpackage"...
    Bob: can you verify if it works for you and update your bugzilla accordingly ?

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the results of my bugzilla report:

"Okay, this is due to new behaviour since HPLIP-0.9.9. It now uses libusb to
    communicate with HP devices, and a side-effect of this is that it conflicts with
    the kernel's usblp driver, which the CUPS 'usb' backend still uses.

Longer time, the CUPS 'usb' backend will be migrated to libusb as well, and
    there will be no problem.

In the mean time there are two options:

1. Disable hplip. Either remove the package or prevent the service from
    starting using '/sbin/chkconfig hplip off', and stop the service with
    '/sbin/service hplip stop' (or reboot).

2. Use the 'hp:/...' URI for that printer instead of 'usb:/...'. Change this
    using system-config-printer. "

Side note - 'system-config-printer' didn't get me where I needed to be. I went in (KDE) to the Control Center and under Peripherals > Printer, selected my printer and then Properties > Interface > Change > Other Printer Type and then scrolled down the tree to hp:/usb/Deskjet_656C?serial=TH1CA1D0QJ (of course, that's just my printer)..

Hope this helps a bit....
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After upgrading cups to cups-1.2.0-1.1 I can't stop, start or restart the cups server anymore. It seems like my whole printing system is horked.

updated solution with Gnome only:

I used the Security Level/Firewall admin. tool to modify the SELinux policy for printing. Open the Printing category and disable the Cups policies.

I kept the serviice hplip enabled and then restarted the cups server.

I then pulled up the Cups admin GUI in a browser using: http://localhost:631/printers/.
    I modified the printer and set the device to hp:/usb/Deskjet_6500?serial=MY4AQ3R053040J -- it was formerly set to ipp (internet printing protocol). I clicked print test page and it worked! No downgrading was necessary.

It appears to me the printing problem is a two part problem: The switching of the HP driver to usblib and a also a clash with the older SELinux printing policies which might need updating.
    Last edited by mbokil; 17th May 2006 at 08:41 PM.
    Fedora 9 / XFCE 4.4.2
    Athlon Thunderbird CPU 1.3 GigHz
    750 MB RAM
    Nvidia Gforce 6200
    Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.9 browser with MonkeyMenu Extension

bert Guest
    I think there are a couple of different problem. On my side, I have a lexmark printer connected via serial port to a FC5 linux server. I can still print fine from the server after the upgrade. But I cannot print anymore from my FC5 laptop through the network using CUPS-IPP. SELinux is disable on both server & laptop. My guess is that the usb conflict is not related to my case. What do you think ?

twiistedkaos Guest
    If you pay attention to yum it does tell you that it conflicts.

Code:
    Error: cups conflicts with system-config-printer < 0.6.151.3
    Error: cups conflicts with foomatic < 3.0.2-33.3
    Since my printer is working great as it is, I just added them to my global block list for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of using Cups-IPP switch to hp:/usb using the cups admin tool. I found that if you updated Cups you will need to change internet printing protocol to hp:/usb... The usb device name of your printer should get automatically picked up in the cups admin tool. Select it and save the settings. That should get your laptop printing again since I am also running my printer via a usb cable and my printer started printing again after I made this change.

If you have cups running on the default port type http://localhost:631/ into your browser to pull up the Cups GUI. When the GUI prompts you login as the root user and password. Select the printers tab and then select the modify printer button. When you get to the device setting switch it from IPP to hp:/usb...[your_printer_name] and click the modify button. Click the test printer button to see if it worked. Select the printer options button to further fine-tune your printers settings.
    Last edited by mbokil; 17th May 2006 at 10:43 PM.
    Fedora 9 / XFCE 4.4.2
    750 MB RAM
    Nvidia Gforce 6200

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I appreciate all of the suggestions and will try to see if any work. Will keep you posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The results are not great.

First, I tried localhost:631 and printed a marvelous test page after having set the printer to hp:/...

I decided to print a web page from firefox. Again, all is well.

Then I tried to print a text file from kate. No go. Canot connect to print server. Make sure configured correctly. Then I went into Control Centre and again, cannot connect. Since I cannot connect, I cannot add a new printer either.

Then, I tried uninstalling hplip. Now, it is no longer possible to use the hp:/ address at all. So, what address do I use? Cups through localhost:631 suggests http:/, ipp:/ or source:/ but dfoesn't tell me what the rest is. How do I do that? So, tried Control Centre again, and still can't connect.

Didn't try fiddling with the policies. Don't want to break more than already is until something more certain is known.

I will try reinstalling hplip and use hp:/. At least I will have partial printing capabilities, but apparently not under any KDE apps. :-(

gcblig Guest
    Epson all in one not working either - get this error:
    E [17/May/2006:21:00:23 -0500] [Job 18] Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": Permission denied
    SElinux disabled
    I now have a brand new large paper weight though the scanner and copy work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No go. Canot connect to print server. Make sure configured correctly. Then I went into Control Centre and again, cannot connect. Since I cannot connect, I cannot add a new printer either.
    You might have to adjust the printer settings in Kate since Kate might still be set to the old printer device. Uninstalling your software is a little bit of a drastic troubleshooting step. Good luck reinstalling it!
    Fedora 9 / XFCE 4.4.2
    750 MB RAM
    Nvidia Gforce 6200

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved, sort of!

On the basis of what I have read here in this thread and trial and error, I have kind of, albeit not in a satisfactory manner, solved the problem.

1. If you are using a Hewlett-Packard printer that is not also a combination imaging device, as I am, then (correct me if I am wrong), you can safely uninstall hplip-*.rpm. Only hpijs-*.rpm is required to supply the necessary drivers.

2. Revert to the old hpijs-0.9.8-6 package. Download it manually and run rpm -Uvh --oldpackage hpijs...

3. Revert to the old versions of cups and cups-libs, i.e., 1.1.23-30. Use the command above accordingly.

4. Heed the messages and replace /etc/cups/printers.conf, cupsd.conf and classes.conf with either your old and hopefully saved versions from before the upgrade, or with the new versions of the old files, i.e., those that are called .rpmnew. Note that the new version of cupsd.conf has some kind of policy rules and the old version for 1.1.23 did not, so this is important, I think.

5. Go into KDE Control Centre. You will now be able to conncet to the print server without any problem. You will see all of the default printers, but likely not your local printer. You will have to recreate it. It will likely be of the form usb:/, if it is like mine.

6. Print a test page from any program and all works fine.

Addendum: For the first time, instead of using the recommended driver for my printer, I tried gimp-print-ijs. It seems to work very well, too, and judging by the description, could possibly be an even better driver supporting yet higher quality output than the regular one. In any case, I am going to try it for a while.

Conclusion: The new updates are not yet usable. It is pointless to have new drivers that are incompatible with the new cups version and vice-versa. It is silly that they were not released concurrently. This problem could have been avoided. Hopefully a compatible pair will soon be available. In the meantime, it is necessary NOT to update cups or hpijs until the problem is solved and the packages match.

I hope this helps.

SHtRO Guest
    I am using an HP Deskjet with the exact versions of cups and hplip that are causing the stated problems. Except I built them from source RPMS and am not having these problems at all.

hplip-0.9.11-1.1.custom
    cups-1.2.0-1.1.custom
    foomatic-3.0.2-33.3.custom

Only the "Revision:" has been changed from stock RPMS.

Has anyone else tried building from SRPMS as a solution?

I am having no problems printing from anywhere except GIMP and that depends on the exact printer selected (I sometimes get raw PS), but that is unrelated as far as I can tell.

So I'm suspicious of the system configuration being used for builds. Whomever is responsible for this (and that vnc update as well) needs to audit their systems and build from clean boxes. This sort of incompatibility is simply unacceptable and diminishes the legitimacy of FC5 as a distribution.
    Last edited by SHtRO; 19th May 2006 at 03:49 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast