FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Laptop recommendation

I recently found out that my laptop is unlikly to run fedora core 5. I was wondering if anyone knew of any affordable budget laptops that will run fedora well.

And what laptop brand do you currently have ???

i have an hp

i use DELL INSPIRON 700M, no problem yet

I have a Compaq Presario 2140US. It runs FC5 just fine. The only part I haven't been able to resolve is that it has a software modem built-in that I haven't been able to get working so I purchased a PCMCIA V.92 modem that I also have not been able to get working. Otherwise, it runs well, and the CPU steps up and down in speed as needed once I figured out that I needed to yum install cpuspeed.

Go ahead and give it a try. If you are concerned, try it with one of the live distributions (such as Knoppix or Ubuntu or SuSE Live) in order to see if it will work before you install it to your HDD.

Stephen

my toshiba satellite 2435-s255 has run fc3 and fc5 no problems, the only thing that doesn't work is the sd-reader.

my old compaq e500 runs fc4 just fine (it's also run rh9 and fc3).

my brother-in-law has an Acer Aspire 9503 WLMi and he had to do a lot of hacking to get it to work with fc4, mainly because of the widescreen, atheros wireless and weird keyboard, but everything works except the card reader also.

i find it very unlikely that an hp (effectively compaq) laptop won't run fc5 at all, you're just not trying.

LarryJ Guest
    I have an AcerAspire 5003WLMi with AMD turion 64-ML-32

Pure pain to get the broadcom wireless chip working. Every hot spot I move to, the initital frustration returns.

I intend to stay away from Acer and Broadcom chips.

I already know that knoppix live cd runs on my laptop, would that be a good indicator of whether fedora core 5 will run? The main concern I currently have is with its ati mobitlity 200m igp gc and whether the widescreen resolutions will be suported. I too have a broadcom wireless card and its pretty safe to say that it will not work.
    Last edited by treak007; 9th May 2006 at 08:21 PM.

well the broadcom chipset wireless is soon to have an opensource driver i seem to recall, also madwifi does work with it and as a last resort there's always ndiswrapper.

Thats definately good news, however my main concern is dealing with my ati x200m mobility igp gc, now I remember why I only used to buy Nvidia cards.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by StephenH
    I have a Compaq Presario 2140US. It runs FC5 just fine. The only part I haven't been able to resolve is that it has a software modem built-in that I haven't been able to get working so I purchased a PCMCIA V.92 modem that I also have not been able to get working. Otherwise, it runs well, and the CPU steps up and down in speed as needed once I figured out that I needed to yum install cpuspeed.

Go ahead and give it a try. If you are concerned, try it with one of the live distributions (such as Knoppix or Ubuntu or SuSE Live) in order to see if it will work before you install it to your HDD.

Stephen
    u may try a adsl modem w/ ethernet interface. i am just haveing fun by it.
    PS. ALL media related questions can be resolved by googling.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any affordable budget laptops that will run fedora well.
    Until I read that I was going to suggest an IBM T-series, but they definately aren't cheap. I run on a T42 with no problems.
    </z4n>