FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Cool Fedora Core 5 Keyboard problem

Hello,

i've had some problems with my Swiss French keyboard and Fedora Core 5 when running X11. Neither the AltGr nor Alt keys where working and that with GNOME and also with KDE. This was a strange behaviour and I didn't know why because at the installation I mentioned a Swiss French keyboard.
    Happily I found out why and I'll tell you why. Xorg has changed the layout for keyboard and now the line Options "XkbLayout" "fr_CH" does no more use a Swiss french keyboard. Instead you've to add 2 lines:

Options "XkbLayout" "ch" --> the layout should be a swiss keyboard
    Options "XkbVariant" "fr" --> the variant of the swiss layout should be French

This is also the case with de_CH keyboard and maybe also others. I think people working on Fedora haven't realized that till now and need to change their installation procedure for keyboard mapping.

Regards,
    LAUER Edouard

Quote Originally Posted by edouard_lauer
    This is also the case with de_CH keyboard and maybe also others. I think people working on Fedora haven't realized that till now and need to change their installation procedure for keyboard mapping.
    LAUER Edouard
    Well, this problem does still exist in FC6 with de_CH keyboard if you want to use the Sun dead keys. Unfortunately I don't know a solution.

According to what I've found, some time ago the XKB layout was converted to single-group format. Unfortunately some layouts were left in the old format like de_CH, fr_CH.

Regards,
    ....Lutz