FC5 PCMCIA modem won't work
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC5 PCMCIA modem won't work

I just purchased a Zonet 56K V.92 PCMCIA Modem card because it claimed to work with Linux. So far, I have not been able to get it to work with FC5 though.

The Hardware Browser recognizes it as INTEL CORP V92 MODEM AT-MD56XX 5.41.

The Network Manager will not set it up as it says it can't find a modem.

KPPP will not detect it even when I try every option available in its list of ports.

I tried disabling SELINUX protection for hotplug and everything else I could think of that might pertain to detection of the card in enforcing mode, and then tried setting SELINUX to permissive mode. Regardless, the modem will not detect.

What else do I need to look at to get FC5 to recognize that the modem is there and be able to use it? I got it as we will be travelling later and I will be stuck with using dialup for that time.

If anyone has a pointer to a FAQ that would be of help, I would appreciate it. So far, the only thing I have seen in searching the web is that there might be a problem with SELINUX and PCMCIA modems in FC5, but it didn't offer a solution.

This is a Compaq Presario 2140US. Other than this modem problem, FC5 installed and runs fine on it.

TIA,

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone been able to get a PCMCIA modem working with FC5? It is the only big problem I have had so far.

I don't think that it is necessarily a problem with SELINUX. I have tried with different settings, but still no joy.

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody please throw me a lifeline!

How do I get this Zonet ZFM5600CF V.92 PCMCIA Modem Card to work with FC5?

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently, something seriously changed in the way 2.4 and 2.6 kernels handle PCMCIA devices. I didn't have the modem when I was running FC3 and FC4, so I can't compare. I just know that it is broken here, and I will be filing a bug report.

OTOH, I did find a thread about ndiswrapper, and I got my wireless lan card working, so it isn't PCMCIA as such that is broken on my laptop.

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day StephenH.
    FYI, same problem with zonet PCMCIA modem and FC5 here. (HP ze5170) Socket fine, modem fine. (worked last night on drive with FC4 and Sun Java Desktop.) Still works fine on WIN2K. Any luck yet? Tried everything you did before I found your post. No joy here either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, no success. On the Fidonet Linux area, one person suggested that I install the older PCMCIA drivers, even though they were deprecated. He said he was able to get it working that way. I haven't tried that yet as I would rather get what exists now and into the future working.

Regards,

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ayup! I think it's the PCMCIA drivers. BestData 56K PC card modem has the same issues. Still looking...

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still groping for clues here. Wonder which one of us will be the first to totally hose the OS install trying to fix it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to download and install the pcmcia-cs drivers (deprecated for Kernel 2.6+), but I don't think I have the proper development files/kernel sources installed as it wouldn't execute make configure.

I did try what I could understand in the HowTo at this site:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/util...cia/howto.html

Unfortuantely, I might as well have been reading Greek for all I understood of it. I think my system will require a resource database, but since I don't have an old installation of pcmcia-cs to grab it from, I am out of luck there since I can't get pcmcia-cs to install on my laptop.

Anyway, it is one more small step I tried to get this working. Unfortunately, it was no more successful than the previous steps. I don't know if any other distribution would be more successful at this point.

Regards,

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day Stephan.

Well, if it's any help, FC4 worked like a charm with both of these modems. I only dropped FC4 due to scanner issues with the HP R40xi. If I can get it working in FC4, I'll roll back to FC4 myself. in the laptop. I'm chasing the HP R40xi "scanner not found" issue right now in the RH9 Frankenputer. But I'll get back on the modem thing on Wednesday. (Tuesday is "go to the city for parts" day.) I've set up a sacrificial FC5 kitchen-sink load on a spare 20G laptop drive, so I can get a little adventurous. In the meantime, if you've got any ideas about getting hpoj working in redhat 9 and/or FC4... I'm open to suggestions.

P.S. Did you do a "make dep"?

dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning Stephan,

Bug repoort filed under "PCMCIA modem fails in FC5" as of 10:00hrs today. Disregard the "make dep" question. It had a lot more to do with what I was working on than what you were. That's what I get for dinking around on two or three projects at once... at 0100.

Cheers!

dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TangledWeb
    Good Morning Stephan,

Bug repoort filed under "PCMCIA modem fails in FC5" as of 10:00hrs today. Disregard the "make dep" question. It had a lot more to do with what I was working on than what you were. That's what I get for dinking around on two or three projects at once... at 0100.

Cheers!

dan
    Thanks. I thought about reverting my laptop to FC4. IIRC, there were a few other issues that I had with FC4. Overall, I am happy with FC5 with this exception.

Anyway, I posted to your bug report so I could be added to it and see what becomes of this bug.

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Zonet pcmcia modem. I originally installed it while running FC4 and then upgraded to FC5 and it has worked with both OSs. It's a hardware modem and I didn't have to install any drivers.

I get it to work by going to System > Administration > Network > Enable (ppo) . It shows up in hardware as a generic modem.

I don't recall having to do anything other than putting it in the slot.

I can also add Network Monitor to my toolbar and get to it that way.

I am having trouble trying to use it with NetworkManager. My dialup account shows up in NetworkManager but when I select it nothing happens..

Anyone have any ideas about NetworkManager

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi tmort.

Ok. That settles it. It's definitely the PCMCIA utils! The Bug zappers are chewing on it.

Regarding network manager and dialups. After you have the ppp0 set up, install the modemlights applet on the panel. However, pay attention to the nickname you give the connection in NM. You will need to use this name in the setup of the modem lights applet. See this thread for more info.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=108671

Hope it helps, and thanks!

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the modem lights and used the nickname from network monitor. It connects but no lights. The dialup still doesn't work with NetworkManager either.

I see there is a new version of NetworkManager out (I have 0.6.0) 0.6.4 but I can't get it to install with yum (at least with the repositories I am using - ie those on
    Stanton Findlays page) and I run into missing dependencies trying to install the RPMs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast