View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2008, 04:34 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulava

I fail to understand why FC9's GRUB refuses to boot, it never happened to me earlier.
Quote:

Error 2: Bad file or directory type.
Quote:

FC9 boot loader i choose to install in that particular disk chunk (dev/sda9), not in the MBR (because to save my existing boot loader).
Quote:

In the MBR, opensuse boot loader resides (have added here the entries of all the OSes).
That right there is probably why.

Hello bulava,

Fedora 9 was the first Fedora version to create file systems with 256-byte inodes in preparation for the coming transition to the ext4 file system. Last summer, this issue surfaced when people discovered that they sometimes could not boot Fedora 9 with the GRUB of earlier versions of Fedora or other distros. It all had to do with the grub package which was eventually patched for this inode issue with grub-0.97-21. So if the version of the grub package in the system that you are using to boot Fedora 9 is earlier than grub-0.97-21, then you need to update its grub package. But even after you update its grub package, you also have to re-install its GRUB boot loader for it to make any difference with this inode issue booting Fedora 9.

An alternative is to use the chainloader command to boot Fedora 9 from the old version of GRUB. I found that the 256-byte inode issue does not affect the chainloader command because it does not involve finding a file in the file system. It merely loads and executes the boot sector code.

You can read more about this incident last summer in another thread here.

P.S.: Someday this will stop coming up as the last traces of grub packages older than v0.97-21 gradually disappear. For now though, it is still happening every now and then..

Last edited by stoat; 3rd December 2008 at 06:55 PM.