PDA

View Full Version : No sound with FC5

Dragos
22nd March 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi:

I've just installed Fedora Core 5 in a Macintosh power PC (G4 processor). After that, an error message appears showing that Fedora couldn't find a valid sound device, and the new device is dev/null. I've changed in the sound panel control autodetection for the other options, with the same result. Neither an upgrade install or a clean install solves the problem . With Fedora core 4 the sound worked perfectly. Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks.

cruyff888
23rd March 2006, 08:14 PM
I also have no sound. I upgraded from FC4, no sound, then did a fresh install and still no sound. My Card is detected but the test has no audio. My audio in all other Redhat distros worked great with no intervention. I'm new to linux and would appreciate any help :confused: .

Vendor: Creative
Model: Labs SB Audigy
Module: snd-emu10k1

When I click the Play test sound I receive:

Did you hear the sample sound: Click No
Error: Automatic detection of the sound card did not work. Audio will
not be available on the system. Please click OK to continue.

I'm running Kernel-2.6.15-1.2054

Thanks in advance.

timmy334
23rd March 2006, 09:12 PM
Same here. SoundBlaster Audigy and no sound. I know it works since I used a live cd and it worked fine. What gives?

cruyff888
24th March 2006, 01:04 AM
Ahhh... FIXED!!! I had to enable 'External Amplifier' under the Switches tab in the Alsa Mixer. Nice to hear music again.....

timmy334
24th March 2006, 02:40 AM
I did that and still no sound. Would you mind posting your levels and such for alsamixer?

cruyff888
24th March 2006, 05:04 AM
I've included two images. I hope this helps.

cruyff888
24th March 2006, 05:08 AM
Under Alsa Mixer Playback tab I have the following:
Master is set too max
CD is set too max

Under the Switchs tab I have External Amplifier checked.

Under file>Change Device> Make sure that your soundcard is selected.

timmy334
24th March 2006, 06:00 AM
I finally got it to work by UNchecking external amplifier and Audigy Analog/Digital. For whatever reason, it worked. Thanks for your help though! :D

cruyff888
24th March 2006, 06:32 AM
Awesome... I had to check mine and you had to UNcheck yours. I'm glad it's working for you.

charlus
24th March 2006, 03:21 PM
For those who are interested, on my powerbook G4 i have to manually load the sound driver ( modprobe snd_powermac ) in order to have the sound working. It is not loaded automatically :(

Dragos
26th March 2006, 06:36 PM
Charlus, did you get an error message like "device dev/dsp couldn't be loaded"? This is the one I got. In addition, udev fail on loading. Maybe that device/dsp couldn't be loaded because udev couldn' be loaded?

charlus
26th March 2006, 10:09 PM
Charlus, did you get an error message like "device dev/dsp couldn't be loaded"? This is the one I got. In addition, udev fail on loading. Maybe that device/dsp couldn't be loaded because udev couldn' be loaded?
I don't recall that error message. What i know is that i'm getting the udev startup failure ( which is a timeout, and then the script goes in the background waiting for the udev init to finish ).

Tsuroerusu
2nd April 2006, 07:17 AM
I have this same issue with my Mac mini, snd-powermac does not get loaded automatically, I have to manually do it, but once that's done, the first boot sound test thing can see it, and everything else works.