PDA

View Full Version : Sun's "Looking Glass"...Can we dream??

linuxmad
26th March 2004, 05:48 PM
Iīm sure we are all dreamers, but can we dream "looking glass" will become a reality.. or just a "bloat" of publicity.
Wouldnīt be nice if Fedora and other Linux distroīs started shipping with that 3D Desktop???
It would certainly put Micro$oft ... a bit ... letīs say dizzy... or broke.... or pi##ed of ...
After all can we really expect in a short period of time to have our desktops with that look??
Please comment!!:rolleyes:

Jman
26th March 2004, 06:47 PM
There is a project page (http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/index.html) on Sun's web site.

Looks like prototype 3D interface software. It looks pretty, but not revolutionary. I don't expect it to appear on our desktops anytime soon.

I hope Sun will share the technology or at least explain how they did what they did. At least they will provide an SDK.

It is Java based, and Java is not free software.

This would require a lot of work before it can appear on a Fedora desktop, but it looks nice.

Lindy
26th March 2004, 07:02 PM
It might not be a groovy cool 3D desktop envrioment, but I've bugged the eyes of a few windows users with 3ddesk. Its a 3D pager. A bit resource intensive, but a nice piece of eye candy all the same.

http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/

ewdi
26th March 2004, 07:26 PM
it's still have a long way to go, the framework still under dev, so does other parts.

linuxmad
26th March 2004, 10:56 PM
I think Sun will have to bring this technology to the opensource community... or else... it will probably fail as a propretary software. Even if this is not a revolutionary techonology...it could bring to the community a lot of users, and besides that ...Micro$oft is always saying that they innovate...and that we follow the flow.
Today's machines are well prepared to deal with this kind of hardware requirements;A common video card nowadays comes with 128MB of memory and a fast GPU, therefore this could be a major opportunity for us to do the "Big jump" into the Desktop.
Hope Sun can do what they already needed to do conncernig java.. that is... free the code.
Let's hope;)

Prometheus
26th March 2004, 11:45 PM
Even if it does run on java, it wouldnt be insanely hard to recode it in a different language. It woudnt be fun necessairly, but if Sun gave out how they did it and the textures and stuff, you could make a new desktop without a ton of trouble. Maybe im naive, but it seems like if Sun released some information the linux community would hop on board really fast. Make it like KDE, have a group working on it in different areas, icons, menus, etc and go from there. Itd be worth a try

Ug
27th March 2004, 11:27 AM
I really don't like the idea of a 3D desktop. I think it would be too hard to manipulate, and it wouldn't feel right.

Would the input methods still be the same?

Prometheus
27th March 2004, 04:05 PM
i would imagine, but who knows. I dont think anybody outside Sun has used it. Well just have to wait and see

Ug
27th March 2004, 07:19 PM
Just like IBM "Blue Linux" then.

Avatraxiom
29th March 2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Prometheus
Even if it does run on java, it wouldnt be insanely hard to recode it in a different language.

I think that gcj would be an easier alternative. :-) The language itself is great. It's the environment that the compiled binaries normally run in that makes it tough. :-)

-M

Jman
29th March 2004, 08:14 AM
In any case I won't be trying this out anytime soon, as I have integrated video and Java always seemed to be a little lacking when it came to 3D acceleration.

Java is a good language, consistent, portable, sandboxed so it doesn't blow up. The VM can be a little slow to start somtimes, though.

Avatraxiom
29th March 2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Jman Java is a good language, consistent, portable, sandboxed so it doesn't blow up. The VM can be a little slow to start somtimes, though.

Ain't that the truth. :)

-M

Prometheus
29th March 2004, 11:01 PM
I dont know enough about the different languages to say which would be best to do a 3d desktop in, but i think it would just be cool to play with. Even if you never used it for a practical purpose, just to mess around with and poke at it would be fun.

Avatraxiom
30th March 2004, 05:20 AM
Yeah, it does seem cool.

My feeling about it, from reading the Sun website about it, is that it's just another way to do things that could already be done.

It just couches those things in a metaphor that nobody yet is comfortable with.

How unusual, for Sun. :-)

Ug
30th March 2004, 03:39 PM
I just don't like the idea. I'm perfectly happy with 2D and can't see what advantages a 3D desktop is going to be able to give me.

Jman
30th March 2004, 04:33 PM
Supposedly the next release of Windows, codenamed Longhorn (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4015.asp), will have 3D effects like

Windows tumbling onto the screen.
Rotating windows.
Warped windows.
Alpha blending between windows.
Threads.
Events and other synchronization objects.

Both this and Looking Glass still a long way off though.

Even when they do come, there will need to be a major readjustment to what a computer desktop is if these concepts are to be widely used.

Lindy
30th March 2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Ug
I can't see what advantages a 3D desktop is going to be able to give me.

I'm sure that the idea behind it is to make a more intutive envrioment for the less than savy
user. This is something that Linux has been seen to be lacking. The project may flop, but who's to say what we may benifit from a nifty bit of R&D?

linuxmad
30th March 2004, 06:02 PM
Maybe the major advance is that we could rule in the Desktop. If this could be done in a year or, at least in two years ... and counting that Micro$oft is considering to release Longhorn (by the latest news...) in 2007, then this could mean that when they presented their new Desktop, ours would already have been implemented.
I think most people are getting tired of their usual desktops, and i am speaking in particular of the MS Windows Desktop users that find, day by day how hard is to "hack" their desktop in order to "personalize" it. We, Linux users, are used to play around, to change things, to turn our Desktop into whatever we wish.
I hope these new ideas donīt get stuck in some stupid "money" competition. I guess Sun is now facing the worst of Micro$oft with the "java" thing, so the other part is the opensource community, that means "us".... and they do not want to stay away... at least... that's what i think.:rolleyes:

Ug
30th March 2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Lindy
I'm sure that the idea behind it is to make a more intutive envrioment for the less than savy
user. I actually think it could be harder to manipulate.

But then I shouldn't shoot it down. I am all for innovation.

linuxmad
30th March 2004, 10:20 PM
I actually think it could be harder to manipulate
I don't think it can be much harder than using Micro$oft Windows :D :D .. After all if we survived that... we certainly will survive the new needs of the Desktop... won't we:)

Prometheus
30th March 2004, 11:32 PM
lol, yeah, i imagine we would.
Windows isnt all that hard to hack, you just need to know how :D ... I do like the options in KDE and Gnome better though. I think it would be cool to have a 3d desktop if for nothing else than to say "ive got one and you windows morons dont ha ha ha ha"

Prometheus
31st March 2004, 09:59 PM
Its prolly not going to give you an advantage, just a different way of doing things. Kinda like how all the linux distros are different, just a different desktop environment. you could say the same thing about KDE and gnome, why would you want two? What edge does KDE or Gnome have over the other? Not a whole lot, just something different