PDA

View Full Version : vmlinuz???

stlouis1
13th March 2006, 06:04 PM
trying to install nvidia drivers through yum update, tells me i need vmlinuz!?!?!? how do i get that

Jman
14th March 2006, 03:51 AM
You have rpm.livna.org repository enabled? This is recommended for nVidia drivers.

You just need to install a driver for the kernel you have installed. The FAQ says how. (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia)

Firewing1
14th March 2006, 04:16 AM
Do
su -
yum update -y
yum install kernel kernel-devel
reboot
log back in after the reboot, and type:
su -
yum update -y
yum install kernel-module-nvidia-$(uname -r)
Firewing1

stlouis1
14th March 2006, 05:29 AM
so its because i'm missing source packages? thats a source package right? i was thinking something like that

ill try it 2moro after work, thanks guys, had a hard time googling on this one, and seen ppl were reading it and no replies, was hoping for an answer quicker, but cant have everything

could this fix my problem when i try telinit 3 to close the gui and it hangs, never goes to the root login prompt?

stlouis1
14th March 2006, 07:58 PM
it didn't work, the kernel-devel part....still no driver, cuz im still missin vmlinuz

Tashiro
14th March 2006, 09:26 PM
Moved to Software.

Tashiro

Firewing1
14th March 2006, 11:24 PM
What repos are you using? Post:

echo '**** repos ****'
ls /etc/yum.repos.d
echo '**** config ****'
cat /etc/yum.conf
Firewing1

markkuk
14th March 2006, 11:52 PM
it didn't work, the kernel-devel part....still no driver, cuz im still missin vmlinuz
Nonsense. "vmlinuz" is the Linux kernel, you can't miss that if you actually are running Linux. Please copy and paste the exact actual command you used and the error message you got as result.

stlouis1
16th March 2006, 02:40 PM
i copied and pasted off this thread

yum install kernel-module-nvidia-$(uname -r)

but i downloaded the 2 seperate packages for the driver, the kernel module and glx whatever, to one folder. tried installing them, but then the package installer would tell me they one needed the other. so i opened the terminal and browsed to the folder with the two rpm's, and did rpm -i *.rpm....

the harddrive worked for a couple minutes and it didn't come back with any error, so i rebooted and x server wouldn't start....had to reconfigure my monitor

when i went to reconfigure my monitor, and opened the xorg.conf, i noticed there was a xorg.cong nividia glx backup, something like that

anyway, did that and tried to reboot, screen went garbled, so i rebooted, used the i switch or whatever and chose not to load the glx module, booted fine after that, but this isnt helping me at all still

bah, got it working, have the wrong kernel module, tried the 686 one and it works now, so awesome