PDA

View Full Version : open firmware buggy?

cryptic
10th March 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi all,

just reformatted my hd and installed 10.4 with fedora core 5 test 3 on the other half of the hd. It was working perfectly until i did a osx update to 10.4.5...

No it just boots to osx. The original black and white menu that asked if you wanted to boot from linux, os x, cd or net, is now gone...

Last time this happened i restarted with the cmd+opt+P+R keys and the menu came back...

now that isnt even working.

to avoid reinstalling it all over again, does any one know how to make this menu come back?

multescugeorge@
10th March 2006, 05:27 PM
Perhaps this is an OSX bug?
I understand you installed a osx boot loader, and that osx is in charge, see it the boot manager's options. There must be a way for osx to boot up linux.

leaded
10th March 2006, 07:54 PM
Did you try holding Option while booting to get to the OpenFirmware built-in boot menu? It should make a penguin icon for your linux partition

cryptic
10th March 2006, 11:15 PM
i tried holding down the option key whilst booting... nothing happened....

from what i can remember, the black and white menu screen before yaboot, is called fedora stage 1??

in the open firmware there are several options relating to boot device, boot method, boot file etc..

does anyone know how to point it towards the first stage of fedora booting proccess?

cryptic
11th March 2006, 01:10 AM
i resorted to reinstalling fedora again. aparently the update for mac os x changed the open firmware boot device..

the boot device in open firmware should be point to the partition with fedora installed on it, i think or maybe its the boot partition fedora uses??? in any case, it is a simple command that i would recommend writting down, if you plan to upgrade os x at least....

for those that dont know

reboot the computer with the option key + command key + O + f keys pressed
then type: printenv

there will be a listing called boot device:

copy down the command...

refer here for help:

http://bananajr6000.apple.com/1275/home.html

*stupid apple, always making things take so much longer than they should!!!!*