PDA

View Full Version : install onto external drive?

stmiller
6th March 2006, 12:22 AM
Is it possible to install PPC Fedora onto an external drive? Can you boot to that external drive at boot with an iBook G4? Anyone know if this is possible? Thanks.

brunson
6th March 2006, 12:24 AM
It's certainly possible to install Fedora on any drive you want, booting to it is a function of the Mac's hardware. If you can boot OS X from an external drive, there's no reason you couldn't boot Linux.

Firewing1
6th March 2006, 01:48 AM
I think you'd have to hold the "F" or "U" key while booting, but it should work...
FYI if it won't install to USB then sometimes you have to boot with
linux expert
Firewing1

stmiller
7th March 2006, 05:31 AM
Okay the linux expert option did not work. The install still only sees the internal drive as an option in the GUI installation. It loads the proper usb modules, which is good. But still the drive isn't seen. I'm going to keep hacking at it.

I figured out that if you hold down the "option" key, you get to the open firmware boot menu on this iBook. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to pick "boot to usb" from there, but I could certainly make a boot cd that tells the computer to look to the USB drive I suppose.

Firewing1
7th March 2006, 11:04 PM
Hmmm... Have you partitioned the disk?
Firewing1

yissachar
17th September 2017, 07:38 PM
Install libvirtd and use the virtual machine capability to install to the external hard drive from the install DVD. That works great.

glennzo
18th September 2017, 12:05 AM
Thread closed.