PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player on iMac running FC4?

zero10
19th February 2006, 07:42 AM
After much trouble of trying to get FC4 installed on an older 333MHz iMac DV+, I have finally been met with partial success. I experienced all of the normal problems, video card issues, installation DVD failing verification, installer freezing from not having enough RAM (nice of them to tell you this....), etc. However, there is just one last hurdle (hopefully).
I am hoping to be able to play MP3's on this thing. I previously used an older Yellow Dog distribution, and had no problems using XMMS on it, but am unable to get it to work at all on this computer.
Helix player doesn't support them, XMMS claims they don't make a PPC linux version (yet it came with YDL), and I seem to have run out of solutions by following all of the other avenues, so I am asking here.
What are you guys doing for an MP3 player?

I have heard that XMMS can be compiled and run on a PPC running Linux, yet I am not able to get it to compile at all. I know I ned GTK ~1.2, and the accompanying glib (no idea why the newer versions won't work....), but if I try to install GTK, it tells me that I do not have glib installed, when I do....
For glib I did ./configure, make, then make install, all of which ran without errors, yet I try to install GTK 1.2.9, it tells me that glib --version returns 1.2.8, but it sees 1.2.10 installed. Yet, prior to me intsalling glib 1.2.8, it told me I didn't have glib intsalled, and I only installed 1.2.8....

Please help!

Nels664868
24th February 2006, 11:57 PM
Xmms works fine on ppc linux boxes. it can be installed buy login as root in a text window
type this in a text editor(ie. vi, nano) and save as /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo

[freshrpms]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Freshrpms
#baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms/
mirrorlist=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/mirrors-freshrpms
enabled=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
gpgcheck=1

then type in yum install xmms xmms-mp3
answer yes when asked if ok to install

nels

zero10
3rd March 2006, 07:35 PM
Cool, I think I found the problem, I forgot to edit the ld.conf file, and run ldconfig.
It was reporting wrong information about glib.
However, I found this out while getting Xine to compile, so I have not yet attempted to get XMMS to compile or run. I am not able to play .asx files with Xine, but at least I get MP3's.
I will give XMMS a shot this weekend. Thanks!

I tried running the above command without the freshrpms stuff, and it said neither package was available.