PDA

View Full Version : how do I install from hard drive?

ruko098
18th February 2006, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know how I can install Fedora Core 4 PPC from my hard drive? Or how to install from the web, say using a boot-floppie or something like that?

I'm using a "dual usb late 2001" ibook G3 w/ osx 10.1. Trying to install linux to add some more life into my aging machine. I don't have a CD burner, so I tried buying FC4 off eBay. Only thing is, the disc was faulty -- therefore, I'm looking for alternate install methods, but trying not to spend any money (that's y I'm switching to linux in the fist place!).

Firewing1
18th February 2006, 09:43 PM
download the images, put them on a partition Linux can read (HFS+, or Mac OS Extended, the Mac OS X filesystem is not readable to Linux.) and then burn only the 1st CD. Type at the boot prompt:
linux askmethod expert
to enable all USB / FireWire devices and to ask you if you want a HDD install.
Firewing1

ruko098
18th February 2006, 11:36 PM
Ok, but how do I instal without ANY cd's? I've got the DVD iso image; I just want to be able to boot it from my hard drive, without using a cd.

brunson
18th February 2006, 11:45 PM
You can't. You'd have to at least burn the boot iso or make floppies. Check this out for the floppy option: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=87732

Firewing1
19th February 2006, 07:28 AM
Yeah... You have to have at least one cd or bootable media to start the install.
Firewing1

ruko098
19th February 2006, 04:28 PM
What about booting from a HD partition? I know debian can do that. Or, is there a way I can burn a CD on a windows machine that will boot on a mac? I tried that once w/ another distro, but it didn't work.

My ancient iBook doesn't have CD-writer or floppy drive.

If at all possible, I'd like to do a full network install. I've got the bandwidth, and it's probaby going to be the most effective method given my situation.

brunson
19th February 2006, 06:37 PM
If you have a boot image compatiable with your iBook, burning it under windows should be fine. I'm not that familiar with PowerPC and linux, so beyond that I don't know.

You can use the HD image to install once you're booted, but you can't have the image on the same partition you want to install on.

ruko098
24th February 2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all your help, folks. Well, I sorta got a boot image going, but the distro I used didn't support installation via Airport. Fortunately, the replacement for my dud FC4_ppc disc arrived yesterday, and now I'm finallyup and running my first linux system!
woot!

I'd like to thank all the people who've helped me with my install troubles, and all the other forum posts I've glanced through and gleaned off of. It feels so good to finally have a modern OS that I can actually upgrade on this aging iBook! :D

rlopez1084
13th March 2006, 10:56 PM
For future reference, you can indeed install fedora without burning any cd's, but you do have to have grub installed before hand, perhaps on another linux distro. But if you do have grub installed, you can extract the vmlinuz and initrd.img files from the first disc, then you can point grub to wherever you extracted these files:

kernel (wherefiles canbe found)/vmlinuz
initrd (where this file can be found)/initrd.img
boot

and it'll start the boot sequence then it'll ask you if you want to install from the hard drive and then say yes, and it'll ask for the location of the images.

Rafael Alba