PDA

View Full Version : how to setup/use remote access?

faustozabdi
18th February 2006, 01:52 AM
Hi, i have a pc with fedora core 4 , a pc with windows xp, and i use a router for internet, i want to remote access my windows xp computer from my linux computer (linux to windows, not windows to linux), how can i do that?

wdgiles
18th February 2006, 02:46 AM
Install http://www.realvnc.com free version of server on XP, install K remote desktop client on linux. There are several vnc clients available for linux, krdc is my favorite since it stores connection information and remembers the last host in a popup menu. An alternate choice would be tsclient. It uses the built in Remote Desktop feature in XP and connects right up to the Terminal Services without installing any other software. Be sure you open up the xp firewall to allow incoming connections on port 5900. once the server is installed, connect to the XP machine using: hostname:5900 or IP address:5900
Keep in mind VNC is not that secure, so you only want this to run behind your firewall.

gavinw6662
18th February 2006, 03:59 PM
I access my windows computer (at home) from work via vnc. There is a package included with the cd's called vncserver. Basically I ssh to home system and map the appropriate ports. After that I fire off a vnc session and user terminal server (that is another application you will need to make sure to install if you haven't already) and that can rdp you into your windows system.

For VNC info, read up here

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/archive/2005.html There were 2 issues with a very basic but good explanation of how to use vnc. I think it was 5 and 6, but do a 'find' on the page for vnc.

Zigzagcom
18th February 2006, 04:33 PM
Why don't you use the Remote Desktop Client that ships with Fedora.

yum install tsclient rdesktop
When installed, you'll find the icon under Applications-->Internet. Choose RDP for the protocol, enter the IP, username and password. You have to enable remote desktop connections in windows, forward port 3389 on your home router to the windows box and you should be good to go.

Crux
18th February 2006, 05:17 PM
Don't forget to tell SELinux to open the VNC port, else it'll never work.

faustozabdi
18th February 2006, 08:59 PM
I have install real vnc on my windows pc, i can view remotely my linux pc, but, i try to install realvnc on fedora but i can't find any icons, i install ts client but can't find any icons also, what can i do to fix that? i'm new a this remote access stuff.

Spoon!
18th February 2006, 11:18 PM
I don't know; on my computer tsclient is under Applications -> Internet -> Terminal Server Client or "tsclient" on command line; and the vncviewer is under Applications -> Accessories -> VNC Viewer or "vncviewer" on the command line

Jongi
15th June 2006, 09:14 PM
Why don't you use the Remote Desktop Client that ships with Fedora.

yum install tsclient rdesktop
When installed, you'll find the icon under Applications-->Internet. Choose RDP for the protocol, enter the IP, username and password. You have to enable remote desktop connections in windows, forward port 3389 on your home router to the windows box and you should be good to go.

What an easy way to connect to my Windows box via Remote Desktop.

rdesktop -u user -f -a 24 ip:3389

The "-a 24" runs it at 24bpp

bigpoppa
25th July 2006, 01:06 AM
Greetings, I am new and having some problems with vnc. Here are my questions:
1. First off, I loaded vnc onto my linux server and my windows machines. However I receive an error message:

"unable to resolve host by name: The requested name is valid and was found in the database but doesn't have the correct associated data being resolved for. (11004)"

2. Any ideas on correcting this error? I have tried the realvnc database but it isn't worth anything unless you are a paying customer.

3. Do I need to create a specific account on the linux server?
4. Does it have to have a specific IP address because I am connecting via DSL?
5. Where would I create this specific account?
6. I am going through a router running WEP do I need to specify a particular port for access?
7. Any other suggestions that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

wdgiles
27th July 2006, 07:46 PM
you have to know the actual DNS name of the machine, or it's actual IP before you'll be able to do much. It sounds like you're attempting a connection to a remote site. I'll answer questions in order below:
1. sounds like a dns / name resolution problem - what is the hostname you're trying to connect to?
2. this forum will always have better answers
3. yes, you will need a user account on the remote server since vnc only shows you what a normal user would see.
4. It can be any IP address, but you need a way to know what that IP is. Google for dynamic IP update clients, or visit http://www.myftp.org/ or http://www.dyndns.org/
5. Create the account on the VNC server
6. Standard ports for VNC start at 5900 for the local screen, then virtual screens begin at 5901
7. Read this: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94257&highlight=server+setup+imaginable

Altstatten
5th August 2006, 02:52 AM
EXACTLY how does one tell SELinux to do this? How do you acces SELinux, first of all, then how to indicate the latter...

wdgiles
5th August 2006, 04:54 PM
EXACTLY how does one tell SELinux to do this? How do you acces SELinux, first of all, then how to indicate the latter...

Selinux can be controlled (in Gnome) from the "System" menu, "administration" then "Security Level and Firewall" entry. There's a tab for "SELinux" in the window that comes up after you enter your root password.

bg

feniks
22nd February 2007, 10:17 PM
What an easy way to connect to my Windows box via Remote Desktop.

rdesktop -u user -f -a 24 ip:3389

The "-a 24" runs it at 24bpp

wow! :eek: was just looking for some soft to connect my work dual boot xp/linux with windows 2003 server via desktop... I am still in shock, didn't know that it is so easy from linux FC!!! OK now I bow my head before Zod heh :D

1) Is there anyway to drop rdesktop connection without Logging out from Windows box?
2) Can I minimize rdesktop window so I can switch between windows session and local linux?

with Windows RDC you just click X on the top gold bar (right to the name of computer you are connected to), so you can re-connect to the same session later. I'd like to know if it's doable with rdesktop (think it is just don't know how yet hehe) :)

EDIT:
of course no 1 was stupid question, just realized that, sorry :) windows xp have big red button called Disconnect (and later re-connect) in taskbar during the remote session hehe That is because you always connect to session 0 on windows XP, however it looks different for Windows servers... e.g. you cannot (never) remotely connect to session 0 on Windows 2000.

3) can I use rdesktop to connect to w2k3 session 0 (local session) ? It's very easy to achieve with windows mstsc, however I have no idea how to do it with rdesktop.

EDIT2:
OK hehe again replying myself (wonder why?) :)

Q.1) Is there anyway to drop rdesktop connection without Logging out from Windows box?

a.1) Of course there is :)
in Windows XP Pro just click Big Red button "Disconnect", in servers Windows 2000 (with Terminal Services installed) or Windows 2003 choose "Shutdown" and select "Disconnect" from drop-down list. you can re-connect to the same session later.

Q.2) Can I minimize rdesktop window so I can switch between windows session and local linux?

a.2) Unfortunately you can't if you run rdesktop with -f switch (fullscreen)

Q.3) can I use rdesktop to connect to w2k3 session 0 (local session) ? It's very easy to achieve with windows mstsc (MS Terminal Services Client), however I have no idea how to do it with rdesktop.

a.3) Just looked through rdesktop switches and it is possible :)
But starting from the beggining. three most popular Windows systems behave in different ways depending on the edition:

*Windows XP Professional: by default has Terminal Service installed and incoming connection always catches session 0 (local user session), simply because there is no other sessions running (never, that's a limit by design).
Example:
rdesktop -u feniks -a 24 -f wxp:3389

*Windows XP Home: does not support incoming remote desktop connections due to lack of Terminal Service. you cannot even install it, it's not supported at all.

*Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Service installed: always connect you to session OTHER than local (console 0 session), it is by design. it is not possible to connect to session 0 via krdc/rdesktop at all, but you can re-connect to your session after disconnection.
Example:
rdesktop -u feniks -a 24 -f w2k:3389

*Windows 2000 Professional: does not support incoming remote desktop connections due to lack of Terminal Service. you cannot even install it, it's not supported at all.

*Windows 2003 Server any edition: by default connects you to NEW user session (not local), so you can have the same user logged in many separate sessions, unless you use rdesktop switch -0 (that is zero).
Example:
rdesktop -u feniks -a 24 -f w2k3:3389 -0

*Windows Vista: never used it and probably never will.

Hope this helps other lost souls to get answers faster :) cheerz! :cool: