PDA

View Full Version : FC5 Test 2 freezing loading kernel

PowerMatt
29th January 2006, 04:48 AM
It stops right at:

"io scheduler cfq registered".

opensuse 10 has been giving me a similar problem while loading the kernel from the CD before starting the installer. It gives a slightly different message, but produces the same result. My entire computer freezes and it won't boot again unless I do a power-off boot. I'm out of ideas.

mnisay
29th January 2006, 04:54 AM
yep i got that too.
can you try passing other parameters with kernel before booting like
acpi
apmd
pci

?

bob
29th January 2006, 05:02 AM
(moved FC5-Dev)

PowerMatt
30th January 2006, 07:55 PM
This seems to happen well before any of the kernel options come into play.

However, the point is now moot until I get another motherboard. That one died. And for details, this was an x86_64 version on a abit KU8 motherboard (died two weeks after I got it) using an AMD 64 3700. I've got an asus k8v-x se deluxe on order to replace it, so we'll see if I get the same problem there. Going to test this out on my old AMD XP 1900 with the i386 version and see what I get.

hollovoid
20th February 2006, 03:46 PM
I am having the same issue with my ku8 board w/3700amd64, possible connection?
it is giving me the same freezup at cfq scheduler, and it started when I upgraded to 2.6.15 in core 4/ and on the dvd iso of fc5 test 2. possibly the suspend to ram stuff isnt ready on this board, gonna try disabling it again goin at it again... if anybody has a better workaround drop a line
thanks

Wishartz
20th February 2006, 03:59 PM
I get exactly the same problem. I'm using a shuttle stg205 with ati 2000 xpress chipset and AMD 64 3200. I have had this problem ever since the 2.6.15 kernels. Searched forever on google and cannot find a solution to the problem.

It always hangs on

io scheduler cfq registered".

Tried compiling the latest kernel from source, same problem.

hollovoid
21st February 2006, 03:06 AM
Well I got fc5 test 3 downloading right now, to see if this changes anything, but this is definitly a 2.6.15/ possible problem with ALI/ULI chipset (if people could post what chipset thier board is using to confirm) I know the board is not shot, because everything up to 2.6.14 works on any distro, and I use xp without issue from time to time. if this and suse lock up for me I may file a bug with the kernel devs, but dont really have any way to trace this since it happens on a boot cd, and before the system logger becomes active.. if anybody knows anything more please respond, because ive tried turning anything that used to be, is, could be, and is possibly unstable in the bios off just to see, and nothing changes the outcome.. still locks at cfq scheduler.

Wishartz
21st February 2006, 02:18 PM
Please let me know how you get on hollovoid. I'm very interested to see if FC5 test 3 resolves the problem before I download it.

hollovoid
21st February 2006, 05:45 PM
It does work for me in test 3, it just pauses for like 10 seconds there, then continues,,, much improved, cept my wireless drivers lock it, but thats another issue to go and tackle :)
do try it out, and make sure to wait 10-20 seconds, since it does continue now

good luck