PDA

View Full Version : FC4 and eclipse 3.1.1 update manager

sissibuster
19th January 2006, 03:02 AM
Hi all,

I've recently migrated my Redhat 9 environment to FC4. I've been postponing this for a long time but now I'm glad I did this.
There is one problem though. I use my machine for some serious java development and use the eclipse IDE for this. I've upgraded the default eclipse version from my FC4 CD's with up2date to the latest 3.1.1 version. Now I want to start adding the additional plugins again that I normally use for my development. I fire up the update manager and nothing happens :confused:
After having a look at the .log file in my workspace I see the following entries :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=M20050929-0840
java.fullversion=GNU libgcj 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -data /windows/H/workspace -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 2006-01-19 02:42:09.368
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Update Manager".
!STACK 0
java.lang.ArrayStoreException
at java.lang.System.arraycopy(java.lang.Object, int, java.lang.Object, int, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at java.util.ArrayList.toArray(java.lang.Object[]) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at org.eclipse.update.core.Feature.getRawIncludedFeat ureReferences() (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.core_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.core.Feature.getIncludedFeature References() (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.core_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.internal.search.UpdatesSearchCa tegory.buildHierarchy(java.util.ArrayList) (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.core_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.internal.search.UpdatesSearchCa tegory.contributeCandidates(org.eclipse.update.con figuration.IConfiguredSite) (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.core_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.internal.search.UpdatesSearchCa tegory.initialize() (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.core_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.internal.search.UpdatesSearchCa tegory.getQueries() (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.core_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.search.UpdateSearchRequest.perf ormSearch(org.eclipse.update.search.IUpdateSearchR esultCollector, org.eclipse.core.runtime.IProgressMonitor) (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.core_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.ui.UpdateJob.runUpdates(org.ecl ipse.core.runtime.IProgressMonitor) (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.ui_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.ui.UpdateJob.run(org.eclipse.co re.runtime.IProgressMonitor) (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.ui_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.update.internal.ui.views.FindUpdatesAc tion$TrackedUpdateJob.run(org.eclipse.core.runtime .IProgressMonitor) (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.update.ui_3.1.1.jar.so)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run() (/usr/lib/gcj/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.1.1.jar.so)
at .GC_start_routine (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
at .__clone (/lib/libc-2.3.5.so)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems that the recent eclipse installation somehow conflicts with the recent libgcj installation :(

The output from java -version returns
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)

Can somebody shed a light on this. This is rather important for me because I really like the speed and memory usage of my new FC4 system. But I need to have it working for my development work also ....

Thx in advance

axelseap
19th January 2006, 04:32 AM
try installing sun's latest java and see if it works then, the update manager seems to run fine for me

here's a link to the download page http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

sissibuster
19th January 2006, 07:48 AM
...but then your not running the natively compiled eclipse ?? I understood that for FC4 you needed the natively compiled version of eclipse due to the modified threading model. Within eclipse itself I use the Sun JDK 5 version of java because I need Java 5 functionality (generics).

The question is thus whether it is possible to use a non-native compiled eclipse or if it is possible to start the natively compiled eclipse version with a Sun Java version...

Thx in advance

bryancole
19th January 2006, 08:45 AM
I've run into this problem (with the pydev eclipse plugin). You can't use 3rd party plugins with Native Eclipse, it seems. I just downloaded Sun java and the latest (standard) Eclipse from Eclipse.org.