PDA

View Full Version : no text in firefox after yum update

cdlaforc
30th December 2005, 10:43 PM
Hello,
I installed/updated some software with yum today and now when launching firefox I have can see no text. Not even for the toolbar and menus at the top. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever see this problem and know the solution.

I have attatched a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

homey
31st December 2005, 02:53 AM
Try removing the hidden firefox folder for that user.
rm -rf ~/.mozilla/
Then, restart firefox to see if it helps. Otherwise, maybe copy that folder over from another user.

rantanplan
31st December 2005, 03:40 AM
BE CAREFUL ERASING THE .mozilla DIR. Please. If you have Scrapbook or anything else in this Dir all files will be lost. Bookmarks too. Do you really want this. I updated from FC3 to FC4. I had shoould make a new install. I think this would be faster , anyway. I had the same problem with the graphics. Text was there. I downloaded another theme and enabled this. Now i have a nicer firefox and all is good. Switching to the default-theme i didn't try. But i like this theme. This is only a workaround not a really solution. Maybe this is an bug from the install-script in the package from fedora ? Anyone can explain ?

rantanplan
31st December 2005, 03:42 AM
BE CAREFUL ERASING THE .mozilla DIR. Please. If you have Scrapbook or anything else in this Dir all files will be lost. Bookmarks too. Do you really want this. I updated from FC3 to FC4. I had shoould make a new install. I think this would be faster , anyway. I had the same problem with the graphics. Text was there. I downloaded another theme and enabled this. Now i have a nicer firefox and all is good. Switching to the default-theme i didn't try. But i like this theme. This is only a workaround not a really solution. Maybe this is an bug from the install-script in the package from fedora ? Anyone can explain ?

i have to append that all graphical/user-interface stuff is called 'chrome' under the gecko-engine (mozilla). But which files are for this bug i didn't want to figure out and made this quick solution. cu

Firewing1
31st December 2005, 03:57 AM
ah, god. What repo's are you guys using? FreshRPMS? NRPMS? ATRPMS? if you don't know, type
ls /etc/yum.repos.d/ and post the output. If it's what I'm thinking, things are about to get ugly.....
Firewing1

rantanplan
31st December 2005, 01:25 PM
Hi, i 'm using DAG,freshrpms,standard fedora,fedora-extras. I think you mean corruption of the rpmdatabase if i use different repos which are incompatibel or something ?

Clunixchit
31st December 2005, 02:13 PM
Hello,
I installed/updated some software with yum today and now when launching firefox I have can see no text. Not even for the toolbar and menus at the top. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever see this problem and know the solution.

I have attatched a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

i had it before :
here is how i solved it:
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2005/09/fc4-no-fonts-in-firefox.html

cdlaforc
3rd January 2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks, That did it.

Clunixchit
3rd January 2006, 04:42 PM
good to hear that that link was helpful :)