PDA

View Full Version : A Wish.................

FXRS
22nd March 2004, 12:51 AM
I started using linux with Mandrake, that lasted about a week. Picked up a Redhat for Dummies book and used the cd's that came with it which where Redhat 9 and fell in love.

Used that for awhile and then started to test the waters of other distros. Knoppix, Mepis, Liberant 2.7 and then doing a real install of Debian. I really enjoyed Debian because of its ease on updating and upgrading with "apt-get", but the thrill of testing the waters again has hit me and off I went.

I wanted a Distro that would have the ability to update with just a command like "apt-get dist-upgrade", so I tried to install Gentoo, and people said Debian is a pain to install........ Well after a couple of hours of Gentoo, I came across Arch, suggested by someone I knew and was instantly hooked. Easy and fast install. Installs only a base and you install only what you want and need. The ability to update the distro. with just a command. "pacman Syu" and it would upgrade to the next release or the latest packages and it was STABLE.

Now on to my wish. I want to come home to Fedora, but I would really like to see the ability to upgrade to the next release with just a command and be stable with either "apt-get" or "yum", I don't care.

Could this be possible for the developers to do with Fedora and if so, would there be a strong enough push for it to happen?

FX

Bana
22nd March 2004, 01:00 AM
Isn't that already possible with yum update and apt-get dist-upgrade? I don't understand what you mean.

mhelios
22nd March 2004, 02:23 AM
Yes this is possible with yum, apt or up2date. See the respective man pages for more info.
Here's an example article for doing this with apt:
http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/apt-fc2/

Ug
22nd March 2004, 07:38 AM
Sounds like your'e coming "home".

Jeffa
22nd March 2004, 08:12 AM
Yes, apt is just one simple download away :).

I too use APT, and it updates by it self and tells me through cronlog what it has done, good work :)

-Jeffa

Ug
22nd March 2004, 08:43 AM
Have i ever mentioned how few headers it downloads? Which is such a relief. :P

Jeffa
22nd March 2004, 08:51 AM
hell yes, it's good like that to, no clogging :)

foolish
22nd March 2004, 03:44 PM
Remember that using the cds and choosing upgrade in the installer still is the only supported way of upgrading between cores, and only when upgrading from a stable core to another stable core.

FXRS
23rd March 2004, 02:02 AM
According to what Foolish has said and if that is the way it still is, I won't be coming home just yet. Maybe when its a little more easier and smooth like they have for Deb, Gentoo, Slackware and Arch, then I'll be back. :O)

FX

Ug
23rd March 2004, 10:38 AM
But like ghenry's article on FedoraNEWS (http://www.fedoranews.org/) it is possible to do an upgrade with apt.

adsmith
17th April 2004, 03:51 PM
I have no idea if this "works" or not, but:

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html

update: since this thread is obscure, I asked about this in Forum/Installation Help