PDA

View Full Version : [FC4] Installing on Supermicro server with Adaptec 2010S raidcard

Cybex
21st December 2005, 06:54 PM
Hello everybody,

I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 on a Supermicro with an Adaptec 2010S raidcard.
When I boot with the FC4 CD the installer says it cannot find any harddisks.

Can somebody tell me how to install FC4 on this server please?

Thanks in advance!

Neuropa
12th April 2006, 02:20 PM
Hello everybody,

I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 on a Supermicro with an Adaptec 2010S raidcard.
When I boot with the FC4 CD the installer says it cannot find any harddisks.

Can somebody tell me how to install FC4 on this server please?

Thanks in advance!

I'm having the same problem, with same motherboard and same controller.
Any suggestion?

Cybex
12th April 2006, 03:57 PM
You can work around this by using the following procedure:

1. Select 'Manual Installation' from the main Installation menu

2. Select the appropriate language

3. Select 'Kernel Modules (Hardware Drivers)'

4. Select 'Load IDE/RAID/SCSI Modules'

5. Load 'i2o_core with no parameters

6. Load 'i2o_config' with no parameters

7. Load 'i2o_block' with no parameters

8. Hit 'ESC' once, with will take you back to the main menu

9. Select 'Start Installation and System'

10. Select 'Start Installation or Update', along with the appropriate medium

11. Follow the regular installation procedures at this point (refer to manuals if needed)

12. After the first installation reboot, you will need to perform steps 1 - 10 again and then complete the installation

13. After the installation you will be prompted to login

14. After you have logged in, open a terminal interface and login with 'root' access

15. Edit the /etc/sysconfig/kernel and add the modules 'i2o_core' and 'i2o_block' to the INITRD_MODULES line (inside the quotes). For example,

INITRD_MODULES="i2o_core i2o_block reiserfs"

16. After saving the configuration to the /etc/sysconfig/kernel, you will need to re-create a RAM disk. You can do this by type mkinitrd from the terminal prompt.

17. You can now reboot the system and everything should work.

Worked for me :)

Neuropa
13th April 2006, 07:07 PM
Tomorrow I will try this solution. I will post my experience.
Thank You!

Cybex
20th April 2006, 08:26 PM
Did it work?

Neuropa
24th April 2006, 08:36 PM
Did it work?

No, I'm sorry...
I have tried to install FC5 thousand times, without positive results...
It is very strange because, with the same hardware, FC4 and CentOS 4.3 (this only with text installation) works!
Maybe, a kernel bug?

Cybex
24th April 2006, 09:10 PM
Hmm, haven't tried this with FC5 yet so I have no clue what it will do here. Sorry that it didn't work out though.

NightOwl
20th June 2006, 04:05 PM
I have installed FC4 on SuperMicro with Adaptec 2010s, but the installer on FC5 fails. Here is how to install FC4:

Boot off of CD media, and proceed as directed. A dialog box will appears notifying you that it did not find any media to install to, and askes if you wish to install additional drivers. At this point load Adaptec 79xx driver and i2o_block driver.

That should do it. Of course I am assuming you have already configured your disks. If not Ctrl<A> during boot.

Rich O'Hare

Neuropa
22nd June 2006, 12:44 PM
I have installed FC4 on SuperMicro with Adaptec 2010s, but the installer on FC5 fails. Here is how to install FC4:

Boot off of CD media, and proceed as directed. A dialog box will appears notifying you that it did not find any media to install to, and askes if you wish to install additional drivers. At this point load Adaptec 79xx driver and i2o_block driver.

That should do it. Of course I am assuming you have already configured your disks. If not Ctrl<A> during boot.

Rich O'Hare

Thanks, Rich...
I have installed FC4 and CentOS 4.3 without problems.
The installer on FC5 still fails for me too... but I don't know why!

Nico