PDA

View Full Version : Post installation Bugs

blinksilver
17th December 2005, 07:33 PM
Okay, After alot of research on what I need to do to get full linux support on my computer I felt confident with installing Fedora 4 onto my Sony VAIO S460, but post installation a few small problems can up. Nothing show stopping, as I am sure most of then should be easily fixed, but they are rather annoying. If you can help with any of them I would be rather greatful.

1) The First thing I procceded to do was install the Nrpms gnome 2.12 update (as well as full yum update for the rest of the system). Everything seems to have gone smoothly except for the strange manner that gnome detects my 4G USB iPod, namely it detects two of them (there are two removable volumes icons in nautilus), one doesn't mount, the other does. I really don't know what to make of it, any ideas, maybe a gnome-vfs bug?

2) I installed Mplayer and the Mplayerplug-in (v3.17). Now Firefox displays almost every form of media I can throw at it, but another really strange thing happens when playing movies. (I have only tested this on quicktime movie trailers from apple.com) When an embedded movie starts playing, it is initially larger then the viewing area and left justified, so I do not see a percetage of the top and right areas of the movie. Going to fullscreen and returning fixes the problem, but It is really annoying to fullscreen and unfullscreen everytime I watch a movie. Any ideas?

3)The "S" as I like to call it, is a laptop so I am very much attached to using NetworkManager for my connectivity needs. I use the system-config-services to autostart NetworkManager (and NetworkManagerDispatcher) but it fails to start on boot complaining about its inability to access libgcrypt. When I login and "su -" then run NetworkManager from a terminal it loads fine.

This leads me to a second NM related problem, when I run NetworkManagerInfo, all the signal quality meter are empty. The Applet itself works and i can connect, but I have no idea of knowing which Network is stronger (It works properly under openSUSE 10). I use the IPW2200 drivers include with the Fedora kernel (Yes I have update to the latest kernel and i still have the problem.). I use the Firmware package from the IPW2200 SF site.

4) Whenever I attempt to use system-config-network to enable or disable my wireless, it always complains that the "SET bit rate" operation failed, it connect just fine, but I don't know why my system is incapable of setting the proper bit rate.

5) The "S" has a 13.3 inch 1280 x 800 widesceen
So I my customized my X.org "Monitor" section as follows

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Sony"
ModelName "X-Black"
Option "dpms"
HorizSync 29-60
VertRefresh 0-60
DisplaySize 285 179
Modeline "1280x800" 68.56 1280 1336 1472 1664 800 801 804 824 -HSync +Vsync
EndSection

I am using the Nvidia 8174 Drivers with my "Device" section

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce Go 6200"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
EndSection

But when I check the X-Sever section of KDE's (I was just playing around with it) KinfoCenter it says the Dimensions of My Screen are "1280 x 800 Pixel (322 x 201 mm)", which is the size of a 15inch screen. It should be reading "1280 x 800 Pixel (285 x 179 mm)". Am I missing something?

6) Last but not least (actually, the most important in my opinion) I have an Intel HD Sound card which is detected properly, but it has a problem with "cracking" or being "raspy." The simplist fix it is to set the snd-hda-intel drivers "position_fix" equal to 1. On Gentoo you just put "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1" inside your /etc/modules.d/alsa, on openSUSE there is an option for it in YaST. Fedora does not have a /etc/modules.d/alsa and I could not find an option for it the sound configuration too, so I am stuck as to how to enable the position_fix.

I am going to reinstall Fedora 4 after I post this. I recently found out about how "bad" it is to be mixing repos, and I mixed all of them, so i am hoping that some of my problems are rooted in that. In anycase, I would really like to have this all ironed out so I can get to the real nitty-gritty that is all the kernel hacking needed for a properly functional S460.

Even if you can't help, thanks for taking the time to read this and try!

-Sos