PDA

View Full Version : Will Linux ever support Pro Tools?

crakroksteady
11th December 2005, 10:25 PM
I know that Pro Tools runs best in Mac OSX, they made a new version for XP, but it's known to crash. Does anyone know if Linux will ever support Pro Tools, considering MAC OS's are pretty much based on the same thing, it seems like a good idea.

Jman
12th December 2005, 05:31 AM
Ask the vendor.

OS X and Linux are both Unix-like, but with some differences, particularly in the graphical tool kits. So it's still quite a bit of work.

niko123456
12th December 2005, 08:23 AM
if you're looking for a fairly powerful (sans midi) audio suite, i recommend Ardour, JACK, LADSPA and whatever else you can find on Planet CCRMA (google).

http://www.ardour.org should get you started - its a great program, very very powerful. It just doesnt do midi yet, but it does sync with midi devices and sequences

niko123456
12th December 2005, 08:23 AM
Pro Tools is crap anyway

dishkuvek
12th December 2005, 08:54 AM
I know that Pro Tools runs best in Mac OSX, they made a new version for XP, but it's known to crash. Does anyone know if Linux will ever support Pro Tools, considering MAC OS's are pretty much based on the same thing, it seems like a good idea.

I'd bet my house that it will never happen. Although if it did, that would be impressive.

JordanN
12th December 2005, 09:45 PM
The real question is not so much "Will Linux Support Pro Tools?", but rather "Will Digidesign (a company that relies on proprietary solutions for income) support a Linux version of ProTools?".

crakroksteady
12th December 2005, 10:30 PM
Ardour looks promising, thanks

crakroksteady
12th December 2005, 10:31 PM
Why do you say pro tools is crap?

JordanN
12th December 2005, 10:38 PM
BTW, on a somewhat unrelated note:
I am redoing one of our lab computers and turning it into an audio, video, and programming station. I was inspired by the fact that we had a Matrox G400 dual-head card sitting around unused.

I have dual-head working in both MS Windows 2000 and FC4. I am presently in the process of installing the Stanford Planet CCRMA packages.