PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 4 hanging after playing sounds

nickpierpoint
2nd December 2005, 03:05 PM
Hello.

This is probably too vague to get a instant answer so I'm hoping for some pointers in how I might track down the issue.

Basically once I play sound through either Real Player or Java embedded in Firefox I'm unable to open any new windows. I can access already open windows, but no new windows open (or rather they hang during opening). I can kill the windows down.

I can't logout or ctrl-alt-del because the new window required to display the logout dialog hangs. !?!

I have to ctrl-alt-F4 to get a terminal window and ctrl-alt-del from there.

I have no problems playing music through xine or xmms but just not via Java or Real Player.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

nlkrio
2nd December 2005, 04:56 PM
LOOK THE BELOW FROM http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes_nocss.html#MPlaye r

* Thomas Chung of FedoraNEWS.org has kindly made an Mplayer plugin rpm build available which is "RealMedia disabled" (including the SMIL and OGG Mime Types) so that it will not conflict with your RealPlayer installation. To obtain this Mplayer plug-in for playing web-embedded movies and multimedia in your web browser install Mplayer as described above, then open Firefox, go to http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayerplug-in/3.16/ and download (save to disk) mplayerplug-in-3.16-1.fc4.i386.rpm. This should save the file to your home folder. If it saves the file to your desktop instead go to your desktop and drag the file into your "Home" folder. (Left mouse click on the file and drag it on top of your "Home" folder while holding the left mouse button down. Then release the mouse button.) Then open the terminal. Type:

su

Hit enter. Type your root password. Hit enter. Type:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

Hit enter. Wait for the installation to complete. Type:

rm *.rpm

Hit enter. Type "y" and hit enter. Close the terminal. Close and restart Firefox to enable the plugin. (Note that by default the mplayerplug-in files are installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Normally Firefox looks in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for its plugins by default. If you have trouble with the mplayerplug-in in Firefox log in as root and do a "cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins", hit enter, then do a "cp mplayerplug-in* /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/plugins" and hit enter. This will copy the appropriate mplayerplug-in files into your current Firefox installation's plugin directory. If your current Firefox installation directory is not /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7 substitute the correct directory name in the above command.) In order to keep yum from overwriting this special version of mplayerplug-in after you install it you should do a "yum --exclude mplayerplug-in update" when you do your updates with yum. You could go to http://www.apple.com/trailers/ to test your MPlayer plugin installation.

nickpierpoint
2nd December 2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks for that - I'll certainly give the mplayer plug-in a try.

But I'd really like to investigate the issue with the sound drivers and why they're failing - playing Real Player standalone also causes the lock-up as does any Java program that uses sound.

I upgraded my system from Fedora 2 to Fedora 4 and it is only since the upgrade that I've been having problems. Is there something in an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install that would cause issues with Alsa or OSS drivers?

nlkrio
2nd December 2005, 05:38 PM
it is not recommended to upgrade make a fresh install!it is difficult even to upgrade from fc3 to fc4 without facing problems

nickpierpoint
2nd December 2005, 06:08 PM
I've heard that recommendation before but it doesn't really sell Fedora does it? Every time a new version comes out you have to start over?

I've always upgraded in the past and been able to sort out any issues, but this one's got me stumped. I can't find anything in running processes or in the logs that indicates what has hung. Don't know how to start investigating the issue.

nlkrio
2nd December 2005, 06:22 PM
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistributionUpgrades