PDA

View Full Version : Source

Jack_Hammer
30th November 2005, 11:53 PM
How would one compile the source code for a program/game, say DOOM for example or can anyone point me to a walkthrough?

giulix
1st December 2005, 02:53 PM
Basically, four steps (the first three may be run as a normal user, the last one must be run as root):

1) Unpack the sources archive; this will create the build environment in a new directory in the current path (e.g.

tar zxf sources_package.tar.gz

). Generally LICENSE, INSTALL and README files are unpacked at the root level of the new directory. README is a must read... sometimes INSTALL too. LICENSE usually contains the GPL. Change to the newly created directory and
2) Configure the build environment; this will customize/optimize the build environment for the current platform

./configure

3) Make (build) the executables

make

4) su and install the executables

su
make install

This works with the majority of source packages out there. A few do not conform to this standard and have to be dealt with case by case.

Jack_Hammer
1st December 2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks very much but don't you need GCC before you can build them?, because I think thats what I havent got.

sgjanssens[old]
1st December 2005, 06:56 PM
Yes, you do. I didn't know that wasn't installed by default, but you can install it using yum. Try yum install gcc.