PDA

View Full Version : General questions please

Cerivrin
26th November 2005, 09:06 PM
1. can someone please tell me about a good mp3 player and a link to it please for fc4.
2. i use i386 fc4 will wine work with it? it said only x86 and also only fc3 and below? does anyone know if it works or if a work around is available? or am i just stuck atm?
3.id there another worthwhile windows emulator for fc4?

merlinv12
26th November 2005, 09:37 PM
1. the best mp3 player so far has been xmms (www.xmms.org), you can always 'yum install xmms' in a terminal and it will automatically install...if you have yum installed

2. wine works in fc4, I currently use it on a 64bit fc4 setup. Though for me it is a bit buggy when accessing hardware devices such as the dvd player...but that may be because I am using a 64bit system and I may be having resource issues.

3. There are two other options. CodeWeavers Crossover which is based on WINE. Its the only other emulator I can think of. The other option is to run a virtual OS such using something like VMWare. Thats all I can think of for running a windows on linux. I personally just dual boot into windows when ever I need to do something and then just switch back.

Cheers

rayyes
26th November 2005, 09:40 PM
1- there's about 1 million mp3 players. which one is 'good' is moreless a subjective thing. I personally use amarok which is a database oriented player. Latelely it's been crashing a lot on me, so I'm going back to beep-media-player.
You can install both using yum or yumex. If you don't know what that means, you should probably search this site and google the terms in bold. Also look in the 'yum' section of the FedoraFAQ link on the top right.

2 & 3- Yes wine will work. If you want to run applications, i suggest using Crossover Office. If its games you want to run, take a look at Cedega. Again, search for the names for more info.

linmix
26th November 2005, 09:47 PM
1. can someone please tell me about a good mp3 player and a link to it please for fc4.
xmms
rhythmbox
amarok
to name but a few. For fulinstallation details and info on how to get mp3 enabled read the appropriate sections at Stanton Finleys Installation Guide (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html)

2. i use i386 fc4 will wine work with it? it said only x86 and also only fc3 and below? does anyone know if it works or if a work around is available? or am i just stuck atm?
x86 is a processor family better known as intel and all compatibel types (like AMD) i386 i486 i586 and i686 are the different development levoel corresponding to those processors, i486 corresponding roughly to the earlier pentium 100 processors and i686 to the latest pentium and AMD processors. Since these are backward compatible, i386 compiled packages work fine on i686, but not the other way around.

There is no wine rpm for fc4, but the fc3 win rpm works just fine. Have a look at The Unofficial Fedora Faq (http://www.fedorafaq.org/) to find out more about this.

3.id there another worthwhile windows emulator for fc4? There's Cedega, and a couple of othrs I can't remebre right now, but you should be fine with wine.

Cerivrin
26th November 2005, 11:10 PM
Thank you very much everyone for your information and assistance i cant wait to try them out :D

Jman
28th November 2005, 06:21 AM
MP3 support isn't included, patent issues, see the FAQ for how to get around this.

sorcerer78
28th November 2005, 01:40 PM
Hi, borrow your thread.
If I'm using vmware to install fedora, what setting should I used? Is it Red Hat Linux? Red Hat Enterprise Linux? or Other Linux?

linmix
29th November 2005, 10:59 PM
RHL (RedHat Linux) should be your best option.

Zyqwux
30th November 2005, 05:26 PM
1. VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html