PDA

View Full Version : Yummy Questions

jimc52
26th November 2005, 09:58 AM
If you want to search a specific repository, and you have added it to your yum.config.d file, how do you know it is actually checking that other repository? I have added half a dozen other repos including dries, freshrpms, etc. I have done the key thing. But when I run Yum Install 'Application,' I don't see it listing the other repos...something like...

...checking repo freshrpms....

Or, something similar.

So, am I missing something here? How do I confirm that YUM is actually doing what it is supposed to be doing?

Also, I don't see anything in the documentation on YUM installing downloaded applications...it seems to me, that YUM should be able to be pointed to a directory where a new RPM, TAR, TAR.BZ2 or whatever resides, and just say...

Yum install 'Application' and it installs it. It does the decompression and runs any config scripts. It has to do this now with downloaded updates from repos...why not extend the capability to any file?

I think YUM needs a great deal of work to make it more universal in its installation tasks. Unfortunately, I don't program. Does anyone have an idea if there is an installation program that will do the unzipping automatically and the installation automatically?

This is one area I am finding takes a great deal of time to do in LInux, when in Windows it's a breeze to install new software...via a universal installer program.

w5set
26th November 2005, 10:10 AM
well--kind of a program
look into the "rpm" command
and rpmbuild commands--it works on tar.bz/bz2 files etc....(and puts stuff in the right directories after it installs a rpm for your distro)
and uhhhh--windoze {choke--cough--hack} universal installer???? I've had more problems with uhhh whatever installer
win uses for which app then I have ever had with dependency problems in Linux..

nlkrio
26th November 2005, 10:13 AM
my yum do checking and for other repos such as greysector.have you set enabled=1,or yum --enablerepo=reponame?

markkuk
26th November 2005, 12:08 PM
But when I run Yum Install 'Application,' I don't see it listing the other repos...something like...

Then there's something wrong in your yum setup, because it lists all the repos it checks, like this:

# yum list updates
Setting up repositories
panorama 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
livna 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates-released 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
If you don't see your additional repos in the "Setting up repositories" stage, then you must fix your .repo files.

Also, I don't see anything in the documentation on YUM installing downloaded applications.

yum localinstall filename.rpm
It's in the docs, just look more closely.

nlkrio
26th November 2005, 01:48 PM
there is a yum configuration at FAQ http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

jimc52
26th November 2005, 11:56 PM
I'll give that a shot, thank you. Jim