PDA

View Full Version : Gnome - new version?

wintermute000
26th November 2005, 03:15 AM
Hi

has anyone tried upgrading to the new Gnome, and if so, did you encounter any serious issues?

As a linux n00b I'm wary of doing such a drastic upgrade but from what I read its much faster and less resource hungry, i.e. if its not going to drastically explode it will be worth the effort... esp. given the nice guide posted in fedoranews.org!

Any opinions would be appreciated

Regards

Firewing1
26th November 2005, 03:17 AM
Me too.... Will it mess up my current GTK+ programs? I tried only updating my gtk+ libs once and it messed up completely, text would'nt display. Will this happen again?
Firewing1

wintermute000
26th November 2005, 03:18 AM
Hey Firewing... what exactly is GTK+? Is it the common libraries for Gnome?

foolish
26th November 2005, 03:19 AM
Gnome is a core element of Fedora. Upgrading such elements are never a good idea, you will almost always run into trouble of some sort.

There's not that much new and fancy in the new gnome. I would almost call it a maintaince release, as there are no real big features added. Just live with what you have for now is my best advice. Fedora Core 5 will be out soon enough.

If you're desperate for the latest gnome though, Fedora Core 5 test1 is out, with the latest gnome release. Do note that this is a TEST RELEASE and is not intended for end users. Meaning: It will break everything and eat your sandwich.

Firewing1
26th November 2005, 05:21 PM
yeah, im pretty sure gtk+ is the gnome libs. If not, then it's what it uses for the GUI... Basicly it's very important.
Firewing1