PDA

View Full Version : can't get sendmail to work

hvrossum
25th November 2005, 04:19 PM
I am trying tot get sendmail to work but keep on getting stuck.

Situation is as:
I have a FC4 machine running on my lan, it does not have a registered hostname. In my network it is called treehut. As I am testing a website on my FC4 box I want sendmail or php to handle mail which the site should send when a user registers on the site.

I tried to get postfix to work, but no luck, so am back at sendmail.
I followed the directions in http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=53204

I tend to get messages in my log stating:

The original message was received at Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:56:21 +0100 from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <harryvanrossum@wanadoo.nl>
(reason: 553 <apache@localhost.localdomain>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to smtp-in.wanadoo.nl.:
>>> DATA
<<< 553 <apache@localhost.localdomain>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found 550 5.1.1 <harryvanrossum@wanadoo.nl>... User unknown <<< 554 Error: no valid recipients

Where and what should I begin to fix this,

thanks
I am using Webmin to check my queue and soforth.

mudarra
3rd August 2006, 09:30 PM
We just changed companies hosting our email and now we are having the same problem.

Omega Blue
4th August 2006, 05:15 AM
You need to have a registered domain name, so your upstream node knows that you are a legit site instead of some imposter. After that you need to change your mailer (MX) record to point to your box, which probably has the IP of your registered domain name.