PDA

View Full Version : e-banking support and Linux

nlkrio
25th November 2005, 02:28 PM
I really want to know what happens about e-banking in other countries expect Greece(the small European Community Country in southeastern Europe).
The state in Greece is really unacceptable,if you want to pay your bills or to tranfer money you can do it only if you use windows and especially internet explorer :mad: This is unethical,you are forced to use windows
not only the linux users but and the others OS users!
What is the state to other countries?

Now I am obliged to use windows,in Greece windows xp costs more than 200$!

ilja
25th November 2005, 02:30 PM
I can use my onlinebanking with the Postbank in Germany (a middle sized country somewhere in the middle of Europe) with any new browser without problems. Have you tried HBCI and gnucash ? Or gnucash at all. Maybe there are some possibilities.

nlkrio
25th November 2005, 02:35 PM
I call to the bank and told me e-banking is supported only for internet explorer users!

ilja
25th November 2005, 02:37 PM
Support people are silly, in most of the cases ;) Most of the sites just say, that it is only possible to access online banking with IE, and mean, that they can guarantee the best design, performance etc. with the IE.
If it does not cost anything, then just try it.
If it does cost anything change the bank.

kerrysl
25th November 2005, 02:45 PM
Most of the Australian banks will work with Linux/Firefox (well at leat the smallish one that I use doe), as well as two other credit unions. What is frustrating here is that our governments Tax Office will only work with Windows and IE plus Netscape Communicator. No Mozilla and no Linux.

One thing you might try is find out what foreign banks operate in Greece, in your area. You may find one of these more progessive with technology.

nlkrio
25th November 2005, 02:50 PM
The fact is that i 've been paid from this bank and is the biggest Greek Bank and all the other Greek banks follows their footsteps.

llbbl
25th November 2005, 05:07 PM
I ebank with Firefox all the time. Tell the bank that they should hire you to fix the damn problem!

BandC
25th November 2005, 05:07 PM
There are Firefox extensions that lets Firefox pretend like IE. Also, Opera can pretend to be IE as well. It may or may not work but you can try.

llbbl
25th November 2005, 05:11 PM
Oh yea I forgot about those. It is called User Agent Switcher.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=59

Twey
25th November 2005, 06:03 PM
If it runs in IE, it'll probably run in Opera. Failing Opera masquerading as IE, you'll need to use IE running under wine.

P.S. I use HSBC here in the UK, and it works OK with Firefox.

markkuk
25th November 2005, 10:28 PM
The browser compatibilty list of my bank is:

Firefox 1.0.7 or later
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later
Netscape 7.0 (Mozilla 1.7) or later
Opera 7.03 or later
Safari 1.0 or later

Yes, the list has Firefox before IE :)
It's the OP Bank Group (https://www.op.fi/eng?kielikoodi=en) in Finland, if you need to prove that e-banking works with Open Source browsers or wish to switch banks.

Truthfatal
25th November 2005, 10:45 PM
Using Microsoft Windows:

* Firefox 1.0 and later
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 and later
* Netscape Navigator 7.1 and later

Using Apple Mac OS:

* Apple Safari 1.0 and later
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1.6 and later

CIBC Dosn't mention Linux, but I've never had a problem.

Daemon
25th November 2005, 11:27 PM
Would that bank be Eurobank? I have problems with that too, it installs the security certificates in IE, wont work with any other browsers. You can view everything ok but cant make transactions. National bank works pretty nice on the other hand, nothing to do with browsers or platforms your in. Will try Cyprus and Alpha banks sometime soon..

kerrysl
26th November 2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah with banks, don't take any rubbish from them. Demand that they give you a date when their systems will be brought up to date with proper technology that supports alternative browsers and operating system. If they can't or won't give you an assurance that they are updating their systems them tell them you are taking all of your banking business elsewhere.

It gets harder when dealing with government departments since they have a monopoly and don't feel the same pressure to compete for business.

smfinley
26th November 2005, 01:37 AM
My US based mobile phone provider does this same thing to me for online bill pay. Get the User Agent Switcher extension for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=59) and masquerade as Internet Explorer.

imdeemvp
26th November 2005, 01:48 AM
I had similiar issue with wellsfargo here in the USA but I install opera and after installing it I was able to pay some of my bill thru wellsfargo. So see if it helps: http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=linux just choose fedora platform.

BTW, the extension from firefox sometime works sometimes it does not so dont be dessapointed. Same may happen with opera.

kerrysl
26th November 2005, 03:26 PM
Masquerading the browser is a good first test and the User Agent Switcher is a great extension for Firefox, but often with these systems it has more to do with Active X than just identifying the browser.

I still say shop around. There are few countries in the world where you are limited to just one bank. The British, German, American, Australian banks should all be options if the local banks are unable to provide proper browser support.

kanenas
26th November 2005, 03:58 PM
WinBank and CityBank Greece are working perfectly with Firefox. WinBank used to stop all the browsers except IE, but the last year this issue has been fixed.

lambrosk
27th November 2005, 07:51 PM
In Greece with Firefox Alpha Bank has no support, I send e-mail one year ago and then replied me that the should fix to support any browser...
The same thing was also with Eurobank....

kanenas
27th November 2005, 08:34 PM
I suppose it is a matter of time until for all major Greek banks to support alternative (non M$) programs...