PDA

View Full Version : Freezes on update

SLFalcon
24th November 2005, 07:15 PM
I am running up2date, and select everything... I mean, what the heck.. I have a 5M connection. This is on a fresh double install with WIN (NEW USER). It freezes when the bar gets to the end of the linux kernal install. I closed it and startede again, and chose not to install that, and it cannot complete a single update. What is up?

Also... if someone can IM me, I REALLY need help. :) linux noob. Installed it last night.

mebrelith
24th November 2005, 07:25 PM
I really dont recommend (even to new users) the use of up2date. Its rather unstable, moody and might eat your computer if you give it a chance. I recommend going to console and using yum to do the update work, just dont update everything at once, go letter by letter like "yum update a*" then "yum update b*" and so on. I found it safer and faster than using up2date. Then again YMMV. Note: if this is really a new outta the box install you should firstly update yum and the kernel, reboot your box and then get going on with the rest of the updates. Sorry i didnt IM you Im having problems with my MSN account :)

nlkrio
24th November 2005, 07:36 PM
Learn about yum http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware and happy update!

mebrelith
24th November 2005, 07:45 PM
Also you should enable the software repos Livna and Kde-redhat for extra software and high quality KDE.