PDA

View Full Version : XFCE4 Right Click Menu has dissappeared

DoorGunner
22nd November 2005, 10:53 PM
Hi

I put XFCE4 as a desktop alternative on. However, in the set up i shut off the right click menu function. Does anyone know how to re enable it? :confused:

enabl
22nd November 2005, 11:05 PM
Its usually caused by xfdesktop crashing, in the svn builds theres an option in desktop settings-useless bloat to toggle the desktop menu on/off.
I've been using the svn builds for so long now I can't remember if theres a similar option in the final releases.

DoorGunner
23rd November 2005, 08:17 AM
This was actually the first time to look at svn.....I tried to use it but had no success. So i ended up using yum extender to download it.

I have made a small discovery. If you type "xfdesktop -windowlist" into the teminal you regain the right click menu and any background image you had. You only need to leave the screen as is and exit from the program saving the session.

It seems what is happening is if you select any icon package you loose the part of the xfce desktop and gnome takes over. In this i mean my gnome desktop with the acception of iconbox etc appears. I then loose the ability to change the background etc leaving you with only you gnome settings that you now have no control over. This is good and bad. It is good that you can have desk top icons. It is bad because you loose control of xfce.

It would be nice if you could have both desktop icons and the right click menu function. Somehow I have either made some wrong selections or the program is not really all there. I have no idea at this point which is right.

daneel971
23rd November 2005, 08:29 AM
I had similar problems when I installed xfce from the rpms in extras; since I switched to the xfce installer all works without a hitch.

23rd June 2006, 08:33 AM
I have made a small discovery. If you type "xfdesktop -windowlist" into the teminal you regain the right click menu and any background image you had. You only need to leave the screen as is and exit from the program saving the session.

Thank you so much for that.. i to had been using nautils over xfce sometimes.. just for removable mounting of devices "embarased" and for that command to restor it after killing of nautils.. perfect :D