PDA

View Full Version : seeing linux from inside windows

bxa121
21st November 2005, 11:56 PM
hiya guys, i know this question has been done to death, but bear with me for a sec.

i want to see linux from windows, yes, you read right, not the other way round (ie see windows from inside linux)

i have installed countless drivers so windows can see my linux partitons, and guess what? they work! trouble is, they oly see the swap partition, and thats it! i cannot see the main files on the linux partiton, only on swap partition.
any ideas would be appreciated..

Kernel_Panik
22nd November 2005, 12:51 AM
When you partitioned your HD for installing Fedora, you probably set the filesystem type for your linux partition as "unspecified". I had the exact same problem with my first Fedora install; I could only see the swap partition from explore2fs until I repartitioned and reinstalled Fedora in an ext3 filesystem.

Here are two possible solutions I came up with:

Option 1) If you have enough room on your linux partition, use qtparted on the SystemRescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org/) to add a small (1-5 GB) ext3 partition to the end of your linux partition. If you modify /etc/fstab right, this will allow you to place things to be transferred to windows on the partition, then grab them out of it using explore2fs on Windows. This represents a relatively small *but VERY real* risk of losing data, but will not allow you to view linux system files under Windows.

Option 2) Back up all your data. Reformat your linux partition to ext3, reinstall Fedora, and make sure you specify ext3 when you tell disk druid how to partition your drive. This WILL result in lost data, but you will be able to see all the linux system files when using explore2fs (or whatever kind of driver you have).

I did the first one for a short-term fix, and the second one worked for me after my second install. You will probably want to listen to what other forumites have to say before you try either of these potentially destructive methods.

DRE.ORGY.NET
22nd November 2005, 01:18 PM
Have you tried this tool?
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Here is another driver you might want to try which reads ext2/ext3 partitions from Windows?
http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

I think microsoft is going to be supporting ext3 in their upcoming release of Windows

bxa121
22nd November 2005, 11:56 PM
thanks for you replies guys, but i have a fat32 partition which i use to store stuff for both windows and linux, and both have read/write acess.
i suppose it isnt totally necessary to see linux from windows, it just bugs me that i have a drive with nothing on it in windows.

oh well....

oh yeah, i did try the drivers you recomended.
and i have read/write acess to my boot or swap partition, but not to the main partition, as i said before, driver works, just cant see main FC4 partition.

guess theres nothing for it but a reformat unless theres a way to see the 'unspecified' partition type with a driver or something

DRE.ORGY.NET
23rd November 2005, 03:09 AM
What filesystem did you put on your main FC4 partition. The driver I gave you a link to will only read ext2/ext3 partitions. You probably have a different type of partition (most probably reiserfs) in which case you will need to find a driver for that kind of partition

bxa121
23rd November 2005, 09:42 PM
not sure how to install that driver, the installation details were to add the sys file to windows drivers folder, and then to edit the registry entry to wherever your linux partition was according to windows nomenclature, which was too much for me, so i didnt install it.
maybe i should, but need help to do so.