PDA

View Full Version : Updating kerenel 2.6.11 to kernel 2.6.14

venkatanarayana
18th November 2005, 08:02 AM
I am using fedora core 3 and kernel version is 2.6.11 and now I am interested to port my kernel to 2.6.14.
Can any one tell me the pros and cons to upgrade my kernel.

is there any inbuilt support for sk98lin driver in 2.6.14 version. If not how can I get the same.

Thanks in advance.

linmix
19th November 2005, 11:33 PM
Personally I always update my kernel using yum.

Advantages of a newer kernel? A newer kernel is supposed to be more advanced, implementing the latest advances in technology , newer and more functionality. If something is included in a previous kernel version it wil (normaly) be included in the next.

Disadvantages? If you have kernel modules installed you will have to install updates for each module.

Spoon!
20th November 2005, 12:00 AM
FC3 doesn't have 2.6.14; the newest is 2.6.12. I doubt they're going to release 2.6.14 for FC3; but FC4 has 2.6.14 kernel, so you can also try upgrading to FC4 and then updating to 2.6.14 kernel.

linmix
20th November 2005, 03:38 PM
I upgraded, but I'm not sure that's really improved my system... What I mean i, the changes are sometimes so small they are imperceptible to the 'normal' user (o boy, don't flame me for calling anyone a geek!). If you have a stable system you are comfortable with and that doesn't give you any haedaches, why upgrade.

Now bear with me as I'm going to say something you may not like. I got rid of windows about two years ago. The last version I used was 98. I was happy with how it worked, I knew how to 'control' it and my I didn't need any improvements (not along those lines anyway). So why upgrade? ME proved a huge headache and my neighbour crashed XP three times in half an hour and then got a virus that put her system beyond repair. (and I got to do the cleaning up, being mister nice guy).

Honestly, if you want to test, or change something, go ahead enoy (I know I do), but if you don't need it, simply let it be...

owakroeger
20th November 2005, 04:40 PM
I'm with you, there! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
On the other hand, I do like to play with new toys! FC3, now that I have it tuned to my personal needs and preferences, works just dandy..... no crashes, fast, and functional. I've tried FC4 a few times, and keep coming back to FC3. I'll probably go up to FC4 eventually, if only for that 'new toy' to play with. But, for now, it's FC3 for me.
my $0.02, adjusted for inflation.
owa

Alerander
23rd November 2005, 06:14 AM
yes, in my opinion, if you box works fine with your current kernel version. Try to be stick to it utill you find the os can't afford your requests.

iltafkhalid
4th March 2006, 12:31 PM
i have installed kernel 2.6.15-1.1831_fc4 and i have found wlan drivers. but there is one problem.
that is..wen i try to create initial image with mkinitrd for this new kernel , i get an error message "no dep found for 2.6.15-1.1831_fc4". what does this mean? i dont knw wat to do. shud i upgrade mkinitrd too ? plz tell me n the simplest words