PDA

View Full Version : Installed but now problem uncompressing linux

fedoraforme123
12th November 2005, 10:24 PM
When my laptop starts it acts normal then when it says 'Uncompressing linux', things stop. Nothing with work and I have to restart my laptop? Any suggestions or settings to tweak?
G3 iBook
382 RAM

nokollonzo
15th November 2005, 10:25 PM
strange problem indeed. Please tell us if the problem started soon after the installation or after some time.

Tim Cederquist
1st April 2007, 05:00 PM
This is an old posting but for those like me finding it in Google; I did the following to debug and temporarily fix:

-hit escape in the grub post screen
-Edit the start "press 'e'" and remove the 'quiet' parameter, this will help you see what it was freezing on during the next boot up
-Reboot the machine

My last line during the boot was trying to startup apci which is power management.

I went into my bios and disabled power management and it boots just fine. Something for me to mess with later.

Enjoy and hope this helps someone,
Tim

fedoraforme123
1st April 2007, 05:19 PM
I just got a new laptop awhile ago and it fixed the problem. Funny thing is, I was just thinking about trying to install Fedora once again and I just got an email. Lough out loud! I had Fedora out of my head for over a year, I'll try this later on today. Very much thanks, Tim!

ppesci
1st April 2007, 08:51 PM
Hey, but if your machine is a PowerPC, grub do not apply. Openfirmware is the boot loader instead. My guess is you have a corrupt kernel. Any way, after you select linux (presing "l"), hit TAB key to see what kernel are available, and then type the one without the "*"

Post the results here

HTH