PDA

View Full Version : Typing in Chinese

GreyWizzard
3rd November 2005, 08:44 PM
I'm sure that there must be a better place to post this question, but I'm not sure where that would be so..........

My wife needs to have a way to type Chinese documents on her FC4 box. We have the standard load of OpenOffice2 and several other things avaiable to us and I am sure that at least one of them should be able to handle it, but I do not know which one or how to make it happen.

I have seen that there is a suggestion to use something called SCIM to assist with this, but i get the feeling that OpenOffice is supposed to handle it. Do I still need them both?

Could anybody either point me to a link with this info or kindly explain how I can get her to be able to create Chinese documents from our US English keyboard?

Many thanks!

Alerander
4th November 2005, 12:02 PM
ah...I'm Chinese actually! You do need SCIM or IIIMF to typing in Chinese, they are called "input-method" in English. If your Fedora version doesn't has IIIMF default, you may need to install them or install SCIM instead.

[leeyee@workstation:~]$rpm -qa | grep iiimf
iiimf-x-12.2-4
iiimf-libs-devel-12.2-4
iiimf-le-xcin-0.1.10-1
iiimf-le-chinput-0.3-19
iiimf-libs-12.2-4
iiimf-server-12.2-4
iiimf-gtk-12.2-4
iiimf-gnome-im-switcher-12.2-4
[leeyee@workstation:~]$rpm -qa | grep scim
scim-libs-1.4.2-3.fc4
scim-1.4.2-3.fc4
scim-pinyin-0.5.0-4.fc4

I'm not using IIIMF now, and installed SCIM several days ago via yum, just "yum install scim", that will be ok! To type Chinese in just with shortcut "Ctrl + Space".
Hope this will help.

enthalpy
4th November 2005, 06:30 PM
not enough. Ctrl+Space will not start scim.
You need do the following things:

$ mkdir ~/.xinput.d
$ ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim ~/.xinput.d/default

That will be fine.

GreyWizzard
9th November 2005, 06:47 AM
Hey, thanks for the input!

I have been away from the computers for a little while now, but I hope to be checking on both the suggestions in the very near future.

I will let you know how it goes for us

Omega Blue
10th November 2005, 04:26 AM
It also helps if you start a session in Chinese ;)

Finalzone
10th November 2005, 05:57 AM
Just to let you know that current developement of Fedora no longer includes IIIMF. It has been obsoleted by SCIM which is available on development repository.

Omega Blue
11th November 2005, 04:40 AM
So is it going to be FC5 or will it make its way into FC4 before long?

Finalzone
11th November 2005, 09:15 AM
You can get SCIM in FC4 extras repository. It is standard on FC5.

GreyWizzard
13th November 2005, 10:59 PM
I have installed the SCIIM on my wife's box and made her aware of it, but I do not think that she has ever tried to use it.

I'm sure that once she does, I will have more to include here.

Thanks again for all the support!