PDA

View Full Version : Question about rebuilding rpms for FC4

fryem720
30th October 2005, 04:36 PM
Hello all,

I am continuing my quest to find the most user-friendly tool for authoring VCD/SVCD/DVD's. I have read good things about QDVDAuthor, but have been unable to find any rpms for FC4. I tried compiling from source, but get fatal errors at the "make" stage that I can't figure out.

I downloaded the latest src.rpm and and an rpm built for FC3. Here are my questions:

1. Are FC3 and FC4 so different that I can't use the FC3 rpm?
2. If so, what would be the best way to build an FC4 rpm? Should I use the src.rpm (and if so, how do I do it and what issues do I need to look out for)? Or can I rebuild the FC3 rpm (and how do I do that)?

I have a feeling this isn't going to be that easy...

Firewing1
30th October 2005, 04:41 PM
Here's the RPMS:
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/rpm.livna.org/fedora/4/i386/RPMS.lvn/dvdauthor-0.6.11-0.lvn.3.4.i386.rpm
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/q/qd/qdvdauthor/qdvdauthor-0.0.9-1.fc3.i386.rpm

One of them is build for FC3, ignore the warnings. It'll still work.
Firewing1

fryem720
30th October 2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks Firewing1. I guess the FC3 rpm will work in FC4, at least for this package.

How can one tell what FC3 rpms will work in FC4? (Should I start a new thread on this?)

Firewing1
31st October 2005, 02:59 AM
no... pretty much any one will.
RPMS work like so:
executes %prep commands
executes %install commands
executes %post commands
So, ususally, the %install commands are copying files to the right spot, and the others are usually unused. If they aren't, then for the FC3 RPM to not work it means that the command is incompatible with FC4. This doesn't usually happen, as they are VERY similar.
I have about 20 FC3 RPMS installed right now on my system, and it's running fine. Even some RH9 ones are OK. I wouldn't worry about it...
Firewing1

fryem720
31st October 2005, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the good advice, Firewing1.