PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 4 rating

Spats
10th October 2005, 01:39 AM
I have had FC4 installed for 3 months and it gets a rating of 5/5 from me. It was easy to install, picked up all my ancilliary equipment, is easy to use, looks good and is extremely stable . I love 'YUM'. It is the best Linux OS I have used.

Axe
10th October 2005, 04:44 AM
I was running FC3 on one of my desktops as a local web server for testing scripts. The girlfriend's son has decided to take over that PC now to play WoW almost non-stop, heh.

So a couple of days ago decided to put Fedora on one of the laptops (Dell Inspiron 600m) - have a mobile test server.

Well, I downloaded the FC4 CDs, burned them out, no problem.

First time I installed, rebooted, "kernel panic" and there it sat. After that, it wouldn't even install any more, it got partway through the setup, at which point clicking "Next" didn't do anything.

So, figured I'd give FC3 a try. That installed great, runs great, everything works, no problems.

I've not had a change to get impressed by FC4 yet. :)

Spats
10th October 2005, 04:55 AM
Sorry to hear of your problem Axe . I have got it running on my desktop (Sempron 2.8 chip 768Mb Ram) and Laptop (Acer Travelmate 240/250, Celeron 2.66 chip, 512Mb Ram) and both are great. I use 'YUM' to update regularly and no problems so far. Keep trying I guess is all I can say.

Cheers

teethlikelions
12th October 2005, 01:34 AM
i would be more of a fan if i haven't spent 100% of my time post install trying to get my ****ing wireless card to work

RahulSundaram
12th October 2005, 04:38 AM
I was running FC3 on one of my desktops as a local web server for testing scripts. The girlfriend's son has decided to take over that PC now to play WoW almost non-stop, heh.

So a couple of days ago decided to put Fedora on one of the laptops (Dell Inspiron 600m) - have a mobile test server.

Well, I downloaded the FC4 CDs, burned them out, no problem.

First time I installed, rebooted, "kernel panic" and there it sat. After that, it wouldn't even install any more, it got partway through the setup, at which point clicking "Next" didn't do anything.

So, figured I'd give FC3 a try. That installed great, runs great, everything works, no problems.

I've not had a change to get impressed by FC4 yet. :)

Most like you ran into this bug #1

http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Caveats_and_Known_Bugs_on_FC4

Rahul
Red Hat

Axe
12th October 2005, 03:50 PM
Could be...

But I'm happy, I've got FC3 on there now, all updated and working good.

Mostly I just needed a portable LAMP setup that I could hook up to my LAN, or take out of the house with me, and work.

I haven't attempted to get wireless working on it yet, but everything else is great (assuming I boot off the stock FC3 kernel, and not the 2.6.12 updated one).

DukeNukem
15th October 2005, 02:45 PM
I first started using Fedora when FC4 came out. Before that I hadnt used linux before. I was very impressed with Fedora. It has been easy to use and i have learnt many things. The amount of guides and documentation available is a strong feature and very helpful for newbies like myself.

I would rate Fedora

6 out of 5

:)

tomcat
15th October 2005, 03:41 PM
Here goes my rating of Fedora 4

Installation : 5/5
(Very easy with the anaconda installer - as ever)

Updating : 4/5
(yum is still slow compared to apt-get, updates are very stable)

Hardware support (Desktop): 4/5
(unless you have some very new or obscure hardware it is painless. USB sticks are still tricky)

Hardware support (Laptop): 3/5
(too many features that don't work well, like battery status, wireless, USB-devices)

Available software: 5/5
(almost everything you need is available from one of the mirrors/repos)

Stability/Reliability: 4/5
(very stable, but that gnome-menu panel time delay is annoying and using experimental kernels (like 2.6.13 currently) is risky for the untrained)

System recovery: 4/5
(works most of the time but grub reinstall was too problematic for many users once their system got messed up (I had no problems, though;)))

Conclusion: Fedora 4 is the best Fedora release imho. Yes, it still has some problems but that is expected in a "development distro". I hope however that those small showstoppers (like the gnome panel bug) will be history, soon.

RaymondB
6th November 2005, 03:51 PM
I have only been using Fedora Core 3 for about a week, i bought the Red Hat Linux 3 Bible with the enclosed Installation CD - but so far i am well pleased. All this writing your own command lines is new to me as i was a lazy Window$ user for many years, but it works fine when i read the manuals properly and i also feel that i am in charge this time - lol

Still looking for some applications to carry on my work, but im getting there. The Gimp is amazing, just as good as Photoshop in my humble opinion, Quanta Plus suits me just fine - just need to find a good thumbnail gallery maker like Arles and im laughing :)

Thanks.

RahulSundaram
7th November 2005, 02:25 AM
Here goes my rating of Fedora 4

Stability/Reliability: 4/5
(very stable, but that gnome-menu panel time delay is annoying and using experimental kernels (like 2.6.13 currently) is risky for the untrained)

Conclusion: Fedora 4 is the best Fedora release imho. Yes, it still has some problems but that is expected in a "development distro". I hope however that those small showstoppers (like the gnome panel bug) will be history, soon.

2.6.13 is NOT a development kernel. Every kernel in the 2.6 series is meant for end users. Fedora is not a development distribution either. If you have problems, do send feedback as appropriate

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate

JN4OldSchool
7th November 2005, 03:53 PM
I seriously got into Linux about 6 months ago. I started with an old hand me down of RedHat 8 and liked it, but i had a lot of problems with my hardware. I then learned to multi-boot and at one time I had MEPIS, UBUNTU, RH8 and SUSE 9.2 on my PC. I hated UBUNTU but liked the MEPIS and SUSE. The SUSE was ALMOST good enough to ditch Windows. I got tired of fooling with multiple OS's and decided I needed a good hard copy book to really get into Linux. I chose FC4 with the book FC4 unleashed. The book sucks...but this distro is by far the best I have used. One thing I have noticed about the Linux community is that everyone has a different opinion of the best distro. This is cool, Linux is all about choice. FC4 just works for me. It works flawlessly, does everything I need to do, and when I do encounter a problem the answer is usually very simple to fix, though it can be a challange to find that answer. Someday, when I learn what I am doing, I will probably give Gentoo a try, but for now I am more than happy with FC4. It is the only way to fly, at least for me. To paraphrase the DSL commercial, I "waved buh-bye to Windows!!!"

nlkrio
10th November 2005, 04:22 PM
before a year i use mandrake.at first i was very excited but later i see that is very windows like so i decide to use something better...i use fedora core 3 and finally i use FEDORA CORE 4 it is the best distro for my needs....so i finally get rid of windows and i feel realy free

defkewl
11th November 2005, 03:46 AM
I still couldn't get my fedora to work with my Toshiba Projector & Laptop. Well it works, only that it doesn't show up anything on the laptop screen. This is very annoying when I'm doing a presentation. If I could fix this, I would get rid of Windows from my laptop.

dilikiki
13th November 2005, 08:31 AM
So does anybody know how to install the driver for the wireless card on Dell 600m (celeron, wireless is 1470)

Please let me know, i tried everything i could but still no luck.

tony2004
13th November 2005, 08:35 AM
do more boogie boogie please!!!!

tony2004
13th November 2005, 08:37 AM
do more boogie boogie

imdeemvp
13th November 2005, 09:51 AM
I just wish it was a lot easier for all the mutimedia needs. Too much time spent setting up all the plugins...

dezufnoC
18th November 2005, 03:44 AM
Well I installed FC4 last weekend and have been taking the slow approach to a complete system. I install a new piece everyday until my system is complete. So far I love it. As long as I read up on the topic before I install this does everythingI want. Next project is the biggie....backing up my dvds. So as long as we have something like anydvd, dvd43, dvd decrypter, and dvdshrink for linux(or somthing similar) I may never go back to windowz again!

Fedora scores a 10 in my book!

canmasagi
25th November 2005, 08:31 AM
To me FC4 is great!

qminor
12th January 2006, 06:47 PM
hey dilikiki, have you tried ndiswrapper? In case you haven't...

I have a Dell Truemobile 1450 wi-fi card, and ndiswrapper worked almost instantly for me. Your card (assuming it's a Broadcom) is known to work with ndiswrapper according to this list:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

You can download the Windows driver from that site also, which makes it pretty easy to set up. Ndiswrapper is located at this site:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

owakroeger
14th January 2006, 10:29 PM
I first began with Linux with RedHat 9. I was immediately impressed with how the installer recognized and properly configured ALL my hardware and periferals the first time with no blood-letting as with Win95, Win98, and even WinXPHome, although my experiences with WinXPHome came after having used Linux for a while.
I skipped FC1, as I was just learning my way around RedHat 9, and I didn't want to take on even more new stuff before I could use the new stuff I had.
I installed FC2 about 6 months after it was released, and, again, I was really impressed with Anaconda's ability to accurately identify and properly configure ALL of my hardware and periferals. By then, I had begun using OpenOffice and had found that some (not all, but enough to really piss me off) of the excel documents did not survive the transition from .xls to OpenOffice for editing and back to the .xls format to be sent on to a Windows user. This led me to play around with Wine, CrossOver, VMWare, and Win4Lin. For reasons best discussed in another thread, another forum, I settled on Win4Lin, and learned how to successfully roll my own kernels.
I resisted FC3 for a few months after its release till I figured out how to get used to HAL and the way it would re-write /etc/fstab, sometimes making it almost impossible to mount my old Zip100 disks. Finally learning how to deal with that, I installed FC3 as my primary operating system, still using Win4Lin on it, and rolling my own kernels. ($ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.12w4l #1 Sun Jan 1 17:02:20 MST 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux) on Fedora Core 3.
I've tried FC4 several times, and draw the same conclusion each time; New is not necessarily better. FC4 doesn't offer anything I don't already have and use reliably on FC3. FC4 doesn't like my linksys WMP54GS wireless card. I can, after hours of wrestling with it, get it installed and configured, onlyto have it stop working within a few days, and I begin the wrestling match all over again.
Additionally, I can't find my favorite screensaver to use on FC4. I like the GL text (clock) and I haven't been able to get it to work on FC4. It isn't included in the Extras xscreensavers package. Why should I have to go looking for screensavers with FC4, when they're all included in FC3?
Also, I prefer Mozilla Suite to having my browser and mail separate. I did finally get Mozilla Suite working on FC4, but I had trouble getting the java jre and j2re pluggins to work with Mozilla on FC4. They install and work just dandy on FC3.
So, ........ my final assessment of FC4 is "It ain't better than what I have. In fact, in some ways it's worse." FC4, in my not-really-very-humble opinion, is NOT an improvement over FC3. It just has a whole lot more stuff, most of which I don't want or need.
I'll stick with FC3 till FC5 rolls out, and take a look at that. Maybe FC5 will actually be an improvement over FC3 or FC4. Or, maybe FC4 will be fixed good enough for me to use by then. Till then, it's FC3 for me.
owa

Troy L.
22nd January 2006, 08:29 PM
Hi,

I have little to no understanding of terminal commands and only now just starting to learn about the basics.

I had used Windows until I got a new computer with windows me installed on it. After a month of spending more time with the blue screen of death than actually on the computer, I got pissed and went to buy some other version of windows. In doing so I found a Redhat 8.0 book with CD's in it, bought it and turned to Linux. Until last week, I used it as a windows pick and click not worrying about much with respect to the real power. (BTW, hit the blue screen of death only twice in three years now ..... and thats without updates sense Redhat abandoned 8.0 ..... ahhh, please don't hamfully hack me!).

Last week I decided to learn something about the terminal commands and so forth, and in doing so came across this Fedora project. The idea behind it makes a world of sense to me, and I will support it. However, being new to the real power of a Linux system, I am wondering if Fedora is something that such a radical newbie like myself should be using. What do you experienced people have to say about that? Should I go for it?

RahulSundaram
22nd January 2006, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I have little to no understanding of terminal commands and only now just starting to learn about the basics.

I had used Windows until I got a new computer with windows me installed on it. After a month of spending more time with the blue screen of death than actually on the computer, I got pissed and went to buy some other version of windows. In doing so I found a Redhat 8.0 book with CD's in it, bought it and turned to Linux. Until last week, I used it as a windows pick and click not worrying about much with respect to the real power. (BTW, hit the blue screen of death only twice in three years now ..... and thats without updates sense Redhat abandoned 8.0 ..... ahhh, please don't hamfully hack me!).

Last week I decided to learn something about the terminal commands and so forth, and in doing so came across this Fedora project. The idea behind it makes a world of sense to me, and I will support it. However, being new to the real power of a Linux system, I am wondering if Fedora is something that such a radical newbie like myself should be using. What do you experienced people have to say about that? Should I go for it?

Are we being so radical is putting of newbies?. We should fix that then. How about you try it when Fedora Core 5 comes out around March and let me know your input?. sundaram AT fedoraproject.org.

http://fedora.redhat.com/About/schedule/

bob
22nd January 2006, 09:14 PM
Troy, Fedora Core is pretty friendly to new users. When you've installed it, you'll be presented with a nice graphical interface (Gnome) which you'll find easy to maneuver in and access most of the things you'll need. I'd also suggest that you include KDE desktop as an alternative. Many users find that it's their favorite.

Now, as to the terminal and how a new user would survive with FC - not a problem! To do most of the normal setup options, there's a number of excellent hand-holding tutorials, such as:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html
and
http://www.fedorafaq.org/
Both are very well written and give detailed step-by-step instructions to make your system as full-featured as you want.
Beyond that, if you want to explore more command-line, here's some resources you might like:
http://www.linuxcommand.org/
http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml
and the bible: http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

In any case, you can use your fully functional Fedora system as soon as you install it and then add and modify things as you feel the need. Many graphical versions of command-line tools exist, such as updating the system with Yumex, a graphical version of Yum. But, command-line is fast and easy, once you've tried it a few times and learned just a few basics. So, come on aboard and join us! You've already discovered perhaps the greatest resource in FC - this Forum! If you run into trouble, thousands of members are here to help. Welcome!

zhefwah
23rd January 2006, 11:11 PM
I installed FC4 on 01/04/06 from iso's downloaded from fedora.cs.utah.edu on 11/24/05. I have a BIOSTAR M7VIG-PRO-D motherboard with a [well I was going to say what the cpu is but the Hardware Browser neglects to say, and I can't find my invoice from a couple years back) and 1GB RAM (two Kingston KVR500/512R strips]. I just bought a 250GB Western Digital drive cause it was on sale when I went in to pick up a graphics card when the on-board chipset died, so I installed from scratch. The installation happened without incident, but my first quibble is that in the installation manual, it says it is easier to upgrade with more partitions, but then it offers no recommendations or guidelines on how to determine or size the partitions. How about at least few links or references to articles or books or something?

But my real ire is reserved for whoever decided on including Evolution 2.2.2 and OpenOfficeOrg 1.9.104. I was happier with what shipped with FC1. Evolution crashes doing all kinds of simple things like working with signature files and changing settings. One of my profiles has a Loading... folder that won't go away. OOO wants to do a series fill when I try to drag-copy a formula cell, does not let me select a file type when I click Save As..., opens the file password dialog in a workspace other than what I launched OOO in, and crashed the other day (without letting me file a bug report) when I was doing some kind of simple editing (can't say I remember exactly -- maybe it was undoing something). Then there are other minor annoyances, like StarDict (the default dictionary engine) not having any dictionaries installed with it, Totem (the default media player) not coming with a wmv decoder, and Firefox doing silly things like not bringing forward by default the open in new tab and not bringing forward the window that opening a link in another application launches (not even a control to set that in preferences).

Judging by what gets listed as the latest by rpmfind, I know there's a lot of work going on with Fedora, but the Fedorans (Fedorites?) have to realize that the bar has been raised pretty high -- you can't put out something that takes as many steps back as it does forward.

Firewing1
23rd January 2006, 11:26 PM
@ evolution, try Thunderbird :)
@ OOo, try the new version. Releases come out regularly.
yum update -y
@ Partitions -- Well, it's our free time us developers put into Fedora. Don't complain. If you want better documentation (this isn't meant to be harsh,) sign up and create it.
FYI, My personal fav is 100 MB /boot, [double you ram size] swap, 1/2 /home and the rest as /.
@ Firefox, update up 1.5 and install Fasterfox & tabbrowser prefs extensions.
@ dicts, not my case. Again, stay up-to-date
@ totem, it's all over the forums. Install Livna and replace it with totem-xine
Firewing1

zhefwah
24th January 2006, 01:50 AM
@ evolution, try Thunderbird :)
If thunderbird is better, why wasn't it made the default mail client?

@ OOo, try the new version. Releases come out regularly.
yum update -y
The same could be said for any package. Why was a version that has so many crashes included in the production release of FC4?

@ Partitions -- Well, it's our free time us developers put into Fedora. Don't complain. If you want better documentation (this isn't meant to be harsh,) sign up and create it.
Uh... look, this is a review thread. I think it's great that you're putting your free time into Fedora, but if you don't want to see any criticism, go watch Barney and Friends. Obviously I think Fedora is still worth using or I wouldn't bother to post here. I just would have ditched it and taken my friend's advice and switched to FreeBSD. If I ever do sign up to be a developer on this project, I'll push hard to make sure that high standards are continually met.

FYI, My personal fav is 100 MB /boot, [double you ram size] swap, 1/2 /home and the rest as /.
How did you arrive at twice ram for swap? Once upon a time, I was told there was no advantage in making it any bigger than ram (I wasn't offered an explanation). Strangely enough, Disk Druid came up with 1948MB, which makes no sense to me at all. I did put /home and /var in their own, with the supposition that if any user or process runs amok, they won't be able to consume the entire drive, but for all I know that's no more effective than banning nail clippers on airlines.

@ Firefox, update up 1.5 and install Fasterfox & tabbrowser prefs extensions.
@ dicts, not my case. Again, stay up-to-date
Again, don't release just to have a bigger version number. Sure, I'm becoming a regular customer at freshrpms and other packaging sites, and I'm not afraid to build something (including the kernel) from source when I have to, but my original point was the out-of-the-box quality of the FC4 production release. Even yum sometimes needs user intervention to get it to look for stuff to satisfy dependencies. If you want linux to remain by-developers-for-developers instead of mainstream, by all means ignore me and everyone else who has feedback.

Firewing1
24th January 2006, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I see where you're coming from -- I know that v of OOo. It's gone now -- I've been using the updated versions for a while. Just update and it'll be fine.
twice the ram for swap, is from what I heard, the magic formula. How much RAM do u have? 1GB, right?

Uh... look, this is a review thread. I think it's great that you're putting your free time into Fedora, but if you don't want to see any criticism, go watch Barney and Friends. Obviously I think Fedora is still worth using or I wouldn't bother to post here. I just would have ditched it and taken my friend's advice and switched to FreeBSD. If I ever do sign up to be a developer on this project, I'll push hard to make sure that high standards are continually met.
sorry, didn't mean to offend or anything. It's just I though the same until I took up programming -- You have no idea... It gets tough. When you're developing apps and trying to get bugs out docs are at the bottom of the list...
Firewing1

bob
24th January 2006, 02:08 AM
Zhefwah, your comments refer to software that was developed by others and incorporated into FC as the defaults that MOST people find best for the purpose at hand. If you feel that other items should be included in future releases, try going here: (I think): http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/#Development and making suggestions. As has been mentioned countless times before, this Forum is not monitored by the developers and we can do nothing to implement sweeping changes from here.

Naturally, there are other options to the programs you have problems with and you have the opportunity to install software that better fits your particular needs. And, I'd suggest that if you find a particular piece of software buggy or in other ways inadequate, go directly to that website and report to their developers. Indirect feedback like this doesn't help improve their product either.

giulix
24th January 2006, 12:10 PM
The installation happened without incident, but my first quibble is that in the installation manual, it says it is easier to upgrade with more partitions, but then it offers no recommendations or guidelines on how to determine or size the partitions. How about at least few links or references to articles or books or something?

There are just too many variables to make such an approach valuable. Once you know how much is a standard /sever/desktop/development workstation installation, you know pretty much everything there is to know. There is no "default" partitioning scheme as there is no "standard" way of organizing a desk or a personal library: Depends on what you've got, what you plan to have and how you organize yourself to escape entropy. I agree that this kind of knowledge is more readily available to an experienced computer user, but there is no simple way, apart from trial-and-error, to teach you how to organize your partitions.

PkerC
27th January 2006, 02:31 AM
Axe: I had the same problem installing the fedora core 4 on my Laptop

but on the begining of the installation, at the boot do this

boot: foobar

probably u get something like an error, but forget it

after that do:

boot: linux text

the "boot:" is not to put of course, just the rest

this problem is due to that your video card is not supported on fedora core 4... so u must install on text mode, and after that install your video card.. for that search if are available the linux drivers...