PDA

View Full Version : "Unknown" partition table

ruspa
1st October 2005, 11:01 AM
Hy everyone, I really need help here... I've installed Fedora 4 and upgraded so far with megs of rpms from the yum repos and have already installed a lot of widgets. That's to say I want to backup the installation on a DVD to prevent any possible disaster :)

But how to make a disk image???
I anticipate saying I'm a very expert Windows environment coder-installer but a really newbie in linux :P

That's what I tried (all unsuccesfully):

1) My boot disk with Dos 6.22 + DriveImage + ntfsdos, in order to save all the unix partitions to a junk-dump-disk.
Result: DriveImage instead of reading the real fedora partitions read only a "100" mb ext3 and a 49GB "unknown" partition. None of the two, anyway are readable (the first by some errors (??))

2)Boot up with the System Rescue CD, after googling a while, I found up the same of above but made explicit for linux, and the result was, guess..the same! A 100 meg partition + all the remainning space in an "unknown" partition.

3)Asking, crying :) in Italian Fedora forums.. and they say I did a real mess in the installation, but I cannot have made any mess because I pressed only the "Keep defaults and proceed next" buttons :))))))))

This is what I can see if I look with the program "Logical Volume Manager" that I yummed down casually:
>Phisical View<
properties for volume group VolGroup00
[...]
Format: lvm2
Attributes: wz--n
Volume Group Size: 38.16G
Available space: 32.00M
Total number of extents: 1221
Number of Free extents: 1
Extent Size: 32.00M
Maximum Allowed Physical Volumes: 256
Number of phisical volumes: 1
Maximum Allowed logical Volumes: 256
Number of logical volumes: 2
[..]

>hdc2<
Prop for Physical volume
/dev/hdc2

Volume Group name= VolGroup00
Phisical volume size= 38.16G
Space used: 38.12G
Space free: 32.00M
Extents [as above, 1220 and 1220]
Attributes: a-
[..]

>Logical view<
properties for volume group
VolGroup00
System ID:
Format: lvm2
Attributes: wz--n
Volume Group Size: 38.16G
Available space: 32.00M
Total number of extents: 1221
Number of Free extents: 1
Extent Size: 32.00M
Maximum Allowed Physical Volumes: 256
Number of phisical volumes: 1
Maximum Allowed logical Volumes: 256
Number of logical volumes: 2

>LogVol00<
properties of logical volume
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Logical volume name: LogVol00
Logical group name: VolGroup00
Logical volume size: 37.12G
N Segments: 1
attributes: -wi-ao

>LogVol01<
properties of logical volume
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01

Logical volume name: LogVol01
Logical group name: VolGroup00
Logical volume size: 1G
N Segments: 1
attributes: -wi-ao

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

How do I backup the entire disks?
I mean, as one would do for creating the ".iso" image of drive "c:" with DriveImage for windows systems!!!

ruspa
1st October 2005, 11:04 AM
I forgot to say that everything is working perfectly, here, no errors at all during startup nor while running. All [OK] everytime!! The only thing that is not working is openoffice writer that refuse to start, but I think it does not matter with my problem!