PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Terminals - Back to X Terminal- How

Flyboy917
1st October 2005, 03:33 AM
I can switch to virtual terminals: alt-ctrl-F2-F7.
alt-ctrl-F1 ....not sure how to explain it....
But how do I get back to an X terminal? I thought it was supposed to be F7 ...but for me thats a normal terminal. F8 takes me to a back screen with a flashing curser...like x is trying to work.

FC 4 / x11 dev installed to try and solve this...no luck.
Thoughts?

dishawjp
1st October 2005, 04:28 AM
You *should* be able to hit a virtual terminal with <ctrl><alt>F2-F6. Doing a <ctrl><alt><backspace> should kill your Xserver. Doing a <ctrl><alt>F7 *should bring you back to X if you haven't killed it. There are those who say that <ctrl><alt>F1 will give you a virtual terminal, but it has never worked for me if my Xserver is up. At least this has worked for me since RH 6.2 and still does today.

HTH,

Jim Dishaw

daihard
1st October 2005, 05:06 AM
You *should* be able to hit a virtual terminal with <ctrl><alt>F2-F6. Doing a <ctrl><alt><backspace> should kill your Xserver. Doing a <ctrl><alt>F7 *should bring you back to X if you haven't killed it. There are those who say that <ctrl><alt>F1 will give you a virtual terminal, but it has never worked for me if my Xserver is up. At least this has worked for me since RH 6.2 and still does today.
<Alt><Ctrl><F1> has always worked, and does work, for me. It brings up a virtual console just like <F2> through <F6>, when X is up and running.

Go look at the file called /etc/inittab. It should have an entry like this:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
Those are the six virtual consoles running on your computer. You can reduce the number of virtual consoles running by commenting out some of the entries, to cut down on the memory consumption. By default, F1 through F6 keys are assigned to those six consoles.

Flyboy917
19th October 2005, 07:13 PM
My inittab looks just like yours. <alt-ctrl>F2-F6 take me to virtual terms. <alt-ctrl>F1 does nothing
<alt-ctrl>F7 does nothing. <alt-ctrl>F8 takes me to a black screen with a flashing cursor.
<alt-ctrl>backspace does nothing.

The "who" command shows any VT's running,the X session running,and who's on them.
The only way I can get back to an X terminal without rebooting is by switching to run level 3, then back to run level 5.
At that point, the "who" command shows two X sessions running...but I can't switch between them.
Any thoughts anyone?

dishawjp
19th October 2005, 07:29 PM
Flyboy917,

I'm at work now, running SUSE and not Fedora, but if you do go to one of the virtual terminals (<ctrl><alt>F2-F7) without first killing X by doing a <ctrl><alt><backspace>, a <ctrl><alt>F7 *should* bring you back to your X session. If you've already killed X, then that won't work.

Please post the output of your "who" command from a virtual terminal when X is running. You may have multiple users on your X session, but you shouldn't have more than one X session up.

Jim

Flyboy917
20th October 2005, 03:37 AM
Flyboy917,

I'm at work now, running SUSE and not Fedora, but if you do go to one of the virtual terminals (<ctrl><alt>F2-F7) without first killing X by doing a <ctrl><alt><backspace>, a <ctrl><alt>F7 *should* bring you back to your X session. If you've already killed X, then that won't work.

Please post the output of your "who" command from a virtual terminal when X is running. You may have multiple users on your X session, but you shouldn't have more than one X session up.

Jim

Here is my who output. I'm logged into all six VT's (F1-F6). Yes, F1 is a VT on my system.

root tty1 Oct 19 21:27
jt tty2 Oct 19 21:24
jt tty3 Oct 19 21:22
jt tty4 Oct 19 21:24
jt tty5 Oct 19 21:24
jt tty6 Oct 19 21:24
jt :0 Oct 19 21:28
jt pts/0 Oct 19 21:29 (:0.0)

BTW ctrl-alt-backspace DOES work from an X session...but not after going to a VT.
And once again, to get back to X I had to init 3, init 5. ctrl-alt-F7-F12 do nothing.

Thanks

Flyboy917
20th October 2005, 04:06 AM
Ok, solved....sort of.
I removed my wireless USB keyboard and replaced it with a ps2 keyboard and guess what. All works as advertised. This is ok except I'm running the wireless keyboard through a USB only KVM switch.
Is there way to change the key mappings on the USB keyboard?...assuming that will work....