PDA

View Full Version : The best configuration for a mail server

jespinosa
30th September 2005, 10:42 PM
Hello to everybody

im a beginner using fedora. Im installing a mail server using Fedora Core 4, with sendmail (smtp), Dovecot (pop3) and Squirrelmail (webmail interface).

I would like to hear from an expert, what should be the best configuration for a mail server?
Should I use sendmail as smtp service?
Should I use Dovecot as Imap and Pop3 service?
What should I use for web mail interface?
How do I set the partitions for a mail server?

SymmetryX
4th October 2005, 07:20 PM
I am definitly no expert, but I wouldn't use sendmail, use postfix instead. Make sure you set it up with Cyrus SASL too otherwise spammers will use you as an open relay. There is a good tutorial in these forums http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46540. Squirrelmail is pretty old, but does the job. I started using zimbra myself, it installs all of those servers for you and comes with a really cool webmail. Just go to www.zimbra.com - its still beta but its awesome.

raoul
4th October 2005, 09:09 PM
Using sasl authentication is not necessary. It's just another security measure. By default postfix is not configured as an open relay.

gavinw6662
5th October 2005, 01:02 AM
Using sasl authentication is not necessary. It's just another security measure. By default postfix is not configured as an open relay.

But with Sasl, it is nice to have that added + extra layer of security. Sucks to find out that people found a way to relay through your box.