PDA

View Full Version : x64 worked fine, then I updated all with Yumex...now I get no logon

majnam2002
29th September 2005, 11:41 PM
Well the title says it all. My x64 install was working fine with the latest kernel, then I started updated a few packages. I am using extras and livna. Then I decided to select all from the update window and let it go. Now when it boots up it looks ok until it goes to the login screen and then it locks hard, blank screen, no mouse, keyboard is dead.

What can I do to go back or should I just install 32 bit, I am getting tired of this.

Thanks,

john

r1348
30th September 2005, 11:54 AM
Which kernel? Which video driver?

majnam2002
30th September 2005, 05:34 PM
Sorry, don't know. Can I find out by booting with the CD and going into rescue mode? I never documented my Motherboard chip set or the video card. I was using kernel 2.6...1447? not sure.

I can get the kernel on boot up, but how can I get the chipset and video card info withough pulling the card? I think it is a Radeon 7000? Have to work on this tonight after I get home.

Thanks,

John

workman161
4th October 2005, 12:19 AM
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=377442#post377442

You seem to be suffering from the same problems as me. Try and add "single" to your kernel's boot line, and remove 'quiet' and 'rhgb'. Then, see if you can start GDM. Type a few letters, and if it crashes, welcome to my hell.

majnam2002
4th October 2005, 01:42 AM
Sorry to say I bagged x64 and now I am back to i386. I plan to stay with that for awhile. Thanks for trying.

I have i386 1447, 1456 and 1526 kernels. It is weird, I will have it running, I might have Audacity recording something off the line in, walk away come back 10 minutes later and find the machine with a blank screen. I hit the Caps Lock or Num Lock, no dice, dead, so I have to reboot. I try all three kernels and they all go blank at the log in screen an lock up. Then about every 4th or 5th try I get the log in screen and I am ok until I decide to reboot or it locks up again. I have the correct Video card ATI Radeo 9250 256MB PCI and a Dell P780 monitor, xconfig looks good.

Then just today after leaving the machine off for a day I started up in 1447 and I get an error "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one." Then I got a different looking login screen, logged in and I am ok. Reboot.....starts over again.

Any ideas?

workman161
4th October 2005, 07:33 PM
No, but that is exactly what I get, except its every time :(

In my topic, someone said to try the FC4 upgrade. While I download over my bad connection, try the upgrade, and tell me if its worth it :)