PDA

View Full Version : grub>

DanielJay
28th September 2005, 10:56 PM
Hello,

I am currently taking a CompTIA Linux+ course in college trying to learn more about linux and such and have ran into a large problem.

I was doing one of the projects and all of a sudden my screen is telling me that the os is trying to re mount all mounts as read only and keeps going line after line showing this and it has errors that would go with it. It was also saying something about the journaling having issues. Then the pc shut off, when I then powered the machine back up it is comming up with the grub> prompt.

Below is the exact prompt I am getting:
[quote]GNU GRUB version 0.94 (639K lower / 515048K upper memory)

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename]

grub>{/quote]

I am running FC2 to go along with the book.

WHen I try to go into the linux rescue mode it says that it cannot find any linux partitions and kicks me back to the shell. I run a fdisk -l and it shows that I still have partitions but the / dir is no longer marked as / to my knowledge. So I am thinking that it could be a grub issue. So I searched on how to re install grub but all the articles I have found in the past hr have not proved to work because I cannot find the /mnt/sysimage mount.

I have already missed my due date for the project that was due today but I would like to find out what I can do to render my system usable again so I can continue working on my future labs/projects.

**This is an internet class that I am taking so it is on my own pc with its own HD just for linux.

Any help would be appreciative.

Simon Bridge
29th September 2005, 06:14 AM
It looks like your hard drive may have just died on you ...

To enter rescue mode, you must boot from CD1 and type "linux rescue" at the boot: prompt.
See this tutorial for starters:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/custom-guide/rescuemode.html