PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Question

Seve
27th September 2005, 04:21 AM
Hi all:
I want / need to get a new Box and I was thinking of moving to the AMD 64 dual core. I am not familiar with running FC on a 64 bit platform, but I would like to move towards that. Presently on a P4 1.8 which is getting a little long in the tooth.
I have read through some of the more common issues regarding the 64bit apps etc, however I was wondering if the dual core would cause / create any problems?

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seve

wtg_photos
27th September 2005, 04:38 AM
no the dual core cpu is trasparent to the operating system
basicaly it acts like one cpu

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=141&type=expert

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_13041%5E13043,00.html

you wont even need a smp kernel

Seve
27th September 2005, 04:49 AM
basicaly it acts like one cpu

you wont even need a smp kernel

Thanks for the reply.

Please forgive me for being rather thick, but does that mean that the OS {linux} can take advantage of, or use both cores at the same time? Or will the extra core be essentially ignored? {Forgive me for ignorance}

Seve

vinu
27th September 2005, 05:00 AM
basicaly it acts like one cpu. you wont even need a smp kernel

I'm not sure if the above statement is correct. From what I know, Athlon64 X2 support was added to the 2.6.12-rc3 and higher kernels, which should correctly detect the two cores and work as dual processors with a SMP enabled kernel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

wtg_photos
27th September 2005, 05:03 AM
oh linux will use both.....
and it will give you a big performance boost
but as far as configuration it acts like a single cpu

hey dont feel bad my brother-in-law is a senior designer at AMD and
I asked him a million questions.

Seve
27th September 2005, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.
My brother-in-law is a dink. Anyway, so going to the dual core would be the way to go then?

Thanks

Seve

wtg_photos
27th September 2005, 05:13 AM
I'm not sure if the above statement is correct. From what I know, Athlon64 X2 support was added to the 2.6.12-rc3 and higher kernels, which should correctly detect the two cores and work as dual processors with a SMP enabled kernel.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/19/1625246&mode=thread

acording to this thread you could be right .
my understanding was that that would not be neccicary but i could be wrong

anyways it should be easy to configure with the newest kernel and not cause any problems
ive seen several users on this forum with a X2 athlon

Danny
27th September 2005, 08:07 PM
I'm running an X2 4200+ on FC 4 32 bit. It runs OK on FC 4 64 bit as well, but I have found that there are no real +s for 64 bit, and there are lot's of -s at this point in time.

You need to use the SMP version of the kernel in order to get both cpu's working, otherwise only one works.

You do need a bios that recognizes the X2.

Seve
28th September 2005, 12:19 AM
I'm running an X2 4200+ on FC 4 32 bit. It runs OK on FC 4 64 bit as well, but I have found that there are no real +s for 64 bit, and there are lot's of -s at this point in time.

You need to use the SMP version of the kernel in order to get both cpu's working, otherwise only one works.

You do need a bios that recognizes the X2.

Hi:
Thanks for the information. I am just trying to get a handle on what I will or will not have to look forward to. So far I can't see anything negative about moving to the dual processsor.

Seve